Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fitting Spiggot bearing & Sleeve to Crank

tricky dicky

Malcolm,Boss

Thanks for the tip, sorry to sound thick. Do I get the sleeve in first then insert the bearing or do I put both together and then insert into the crank. I know what you're thinking ....

Once I've got this sorted the engine is ready to go in, hopefully this weekend, I have sourced a set of Blue VVC injectors, on DVA's recommendation, to increase fuel flow over my standard black EU3 jobbies.A couple more jobs to complete and then MOT and tax to get back on the road.

REgards

Rich

Edited by - tricky dicky on 9 Feb 2005 09:53:33

The sleeve is an engineering bodge to get an engine to work with a different box. A good bodge but deinitely one from the book of engineering tricks. Normally the crank is drilled to accept the bush directly and the ID of the bush fits the gearbox shaft. Engineers being lazy they choose a standard size bush and drill the crank to accept it, then machine the gb input shaft to size. In this case the bush is right for the gearbox but too small for the crank so they have made up a sleeve. I would therefore fit the sleeve (use bearing/stud lock compound) first and then press in the bush afterwards. The usual method is to make a drift with a step in it or use a ckutch alignment tool. This allows you to push the bush in square. Again a drop of bearing goop will help.