Click here if you are having website access problems ×

0-50w oil for the SLR VHPD

Weirdy

Dino I wouldn't touch SynerG with a bargepole. Hyperion changed the oil in my Supersport to that and the tappets rattled forever after until I changed to Mobil 1 15/50.

From my own experience, I've run Mobil 1 Motorpsort in every Caterham since that Supersport and never had any problems - certianly no issues with the oil temperatures getting up to the correct temperature quickly and that's on two highly tuned engines and one in a moderate state of tune (all Ks).

FWIW my current car (2.0 HPC VX) uses Mobil 1 and I've driven it in the recent brass money temperatures with no problems and you'd think that might take longer to warm up than a K, it being an iron block engine....

Chaps, been really busy at work so have only just caught up with this thread, thanks for all the advice, 0-50W it is then, not SnyerG rubbish but something right?

Had a good 40 miles on Sunday, but the engine took ages to warm through as it was so cold.

Thanks for all the advice and thread links and debate I have learned that if it works and it works well for you don't change it. Its the OLD Audiuo Visual saying: 'If it isn't broken, don't fix it'

😬 😬 😬

thanks to you all.....

Weirdy

Its not the winning thats important, its the taking them apart.......

I dont know the personalities, but I dislike the critism of oilman. He has written lots of useful, technical stuff here and taught me things I didnt know before. I dont believe he slants what he says so as to sell more oil.

regardless of who likes who, listens to whom, and doesn't etc.... I have very much enjoyed the feedback and comments from this forum and have found this a most valuable resource...

So Oilman, sell me some 5-50w... 😬

Weirdy

Oilman

I'd agree with the 5 rating, but 40 causes the engine to run hot, too hot considering the hassles I have had.... 5-50w would be the best result in my book, you have to remember I thrash 'Minty' and she lives in the powerband most of thetime, I have also solved the Mystery of where some of the oil goes... I haven't emptied it for a while, the oil catch bottle... 😬

ON HOT days when on a long run and then I hit traffic I reckon 50w is perfect.... all the needles on the dials also agree.....

So gis a price at my mail addy.....

Mike

Sounds good, I was looking at getting at least ten litres so I will have enough for a few years MAYBE *confused* 😬

Weirdy

It seems once again the uneducated go back to words and thoughts like gloopy, thick and thin totaly missing all the good advice given for example by Oilman.

Oilman has given good reason for use of a lower number viscosity reading for the cold start and a good example of what a second viscosity reading for high tempretures mean, how they efect your engines and the fact the closer the two numbers the better the oils chance of staying together and doing its job for longer ie shear quality.

I believe Oilman has given educated, good, honest advice and If he sold every make of oil on the planet he would still advise on the best for you and he has at no point slagged off any other product.

Example I would give is to ask Oilman to rebuild your engine for you, I believe he will be no exbert and may decline. Ask most mechanics about oil and they will have an opinion but not the full grasp of it, both exberts in ther own feild, get it.

I can understand Oilman etc getting frustrated but thanks to them for still trying and being patient.

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR

Does anyone know why a thinner oil (5w40) should make the engine run hotter than thicker (5w50). I would have thought that although the less viscous oil may indicate lower pressure on the gauge if anything it's ability to flow more easily around the engine might carry more heat away from thr bearings etc and it's lower viscosity would result in less heat generating pumping losses, especially relevant if the engine is revved hard .

There is ABSOLUTELY no reason why an sae 40 should run hotter than an sae 50 unless it's down to quality. The FACT is that it should be the exact opposite!

You see the thicker the oil the harder it is for the engine to pump it around which causes more friction and therefore MORE heat. This of course causes more wear and shortened engine life.

My reasons for 5w-40 over 5w-50 are as stated before down to shear stability due to the additional VI Improvers in the 5w-50 to make it work (wider viscosity range requires more) and these polymers are the reason for shear.

Heat tolerance is about basestock quality and a petroleum oil of an sae 40 viscosity will tolerate around 110 degC whereas as a true synthetic sae 40 will tolerate a whopping 140 degC plus!

Weirdy, I would suggest that you give a true synthetic 5w-40 like Silkolene PRO S 5w-40 a try, I think you will be both pleased and surprised with the results.

With regards to "shelf life" they do vary depending on quality. The true synthetic has the longest as the addative pack does not drop out as easily so in this case 5 years plus but for petroleum oils this should be shortened to 2-3 years depending on basestock and addative pack quality.

Hope this answers your questions and thanks for all the kind words from you all.

Cheers

Simon