Click here if you are having website access problems ×

0-50w oil for the SLR VHPD

Weirdy

Dave from Hyperion said he gets his locally if he needs it, somewhere in Halstead, closer than Caterham in Dartford, but still it got me thinking..... Anyone else get thiers locally fairly cheap.... Minty burns about a litre every 500 miles.....

Weirdy

Its not the winning thats important, its the taking them apart.......

Bare

Yeah I use the 0-50w, its the best at power band type pressures in the engine, and keeps the engine cooler.....

so anything more than sarcasm to my question 😬

Weirdy

Caterham reckon the VHPD burns a litre every 1k miles, the way I drive her it does feel like more, I do check after each run...

She has just been serviced and MOT'd and has a clean bill of health, she has always eaten oil... just a fact of driving in the power band everywhere, I rarely drive her in stealth mode, you know when I am close.....

So, not one idea then from anyone ☹️

Well I shal have to keep searching......

Weirdy

how weird... 😳 mine doesn't tend to use much oil at all.... and it's wet-sumped which you would think might make it more prone to wearing internal metal bits out.

Mind you, mines only done 13k miles and I reckon i probably drive it like a wuss, that'd explain it 😬

Darren E

K80RUM Superlight R #54

I'd not use 0-50 - Hyperion always used Mobil 1 motorsport in SLR - 15/40 IIRC. And my car's oil consumption varied - as little as a litre every 2k miles to a litre in 1,000 miles around the Le Mans weekend in 2003.

Weirdy, what's your oil pressure at idle when hot and is the car dry sumped?

Sorry meant to say that you may have trouble finding oil of that viscosity - I have about a litre of the old Mobil 1 oil of that viscosity in my shed if it's any good to you....

Halfrauds' oil (which is, or was, Comma SynerG) is, from memory something like 5/50.

Mark she's wet sumped. When hot at Idle the pressure can go right down if the levels are low on 0-50w. Anyhting other than 0-50w and the pressure can drop right off. When I queried this with Caterham they said as long as it goes up when you accelarate its fine, but thinner oils make the gauge go up and down and doesn't give a clear indication of pressure after a long run, decent High gloop oil has been the solution, burns less, runs smoother and the gauges give consistant readings.... NB: Please note when I say I drive her hard, this is not a ridiculous statement, Minty when cruising is usualy on the edge of the power band at 5k, when hooning it 6k upto the limiter at 7750k. She works hard and I am not ashamed to admit she is happy when thrashed completely....

I have tried Mobile motor sport, not gloopy enough, 0-50w is what She likes and is what I shall be feeding her....

So I guess I am going back to Caterham for thier coma 0-50w motorsport oil....

Weirdy

Chaps, I maybe over exagerate about the consumption, it seems like alot...I check her level after every run.... If the engine is knackered it has been so since I bought it @ 900 miles, its now 12k and rising..... I don't think it is knackered TBH, I think I just thrash her more than most, well thats what she was built for....

Please also remeber I have stuffed a few sumps too, that adds to the oil loss...

She is happy on 0-50w does this make her bad?

curious minds need to know.....

😬

Weirdy

0w-50 😳

Is this right? Do you mean 5w-50?

0w is the cold crank viscosity and is useable in -35degC 😳 This is really overkill for UK climate. 10w is -20 degC.

The problem with wide viscosity oils is that they are far more prone to shearing because they need bucket loads of VI Improvers to make them work.

If your going to use an sae 50 then 10w-50 or 15w-50 is a better oil as the viscosity is not as wide. The consideration is whether this viscosity is too thick for your engine and therefore you're wasting power and causing friction as the engine struggles to pump the oil around.

The most shear stable 0w grade available is in fact 0w-30 all things being equal.

Cheers

Simon

oilman

food for thought....

no dicernable noticable differance in power....

maybe its better to have 5-50w as you say.... I understand the numbers as reguards the gloopyness, but blimey..... I have learned something new......

Weirdy

Worth bearing in mind that Oilman does have a vested commercial interest and doesn't sell Mobil, Comma etc.

Yet another thread suggesting Caterham got Comma to develop some cr*p oil for their cars. The development of this oil along with other improvements has improved the reliability of R500 engines.

Weirdy I would use the 5W50 as you know it works! There is a lot of suspiscion on the board that Caterham do everything to spite people *confused*. Caterham said to me at the time when they developed them they did it to remove the confusion of what oil should go in what.

Of course it is a free choice for everyone. Oilman however does sell oil and only sells certain brands. I am sure some of the advice can be generally applied but he does have a vested interest to recommend particular oils.

I would say that Mobil Motorsport 15W50 is not a great choice for a K-Series as it doesn't get very runny at low temps. This is particularly critical at this time of year when oil doesn't get very hot even on longer blats.