Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Elektrickery problems - please help!

Mcalvert

• Leadership Team

Right, I spent part of this afternoon wiring up my starter button and ignition switch.

All went well and it WAS working fine *smile*

However, after tidying up the wiring, the instruments are now absolutely dead. I can still start the car, but nothing registers on any of the instruments bar the indicator lights. I can hear a click from a relay when I turn on the ignition, but nothing more. I've checked all of the fuses, but cannot find one that relates directly to the instruments. Where should I look next please?

It may be a red herring, but the red ignition light has stopped working also. I had been having problems with a loose connection in this previously. However, I've temporarily swapped the bulb from the main beam headlights, and still no luck. Obviously, this also means that the alternator is no longer charging the battery…

All thoughts appreciated...

Michael.

Have you disturbed the ignition barrel, you might have pulled the ignition live of, as the wiring for the starter is totally separate, pull of the black shroud and check, be very carefull though as you might pull them all off. *thumbup*

Watch This Space....Get it ?

Brent beat me, but check for any little wires you may have disturbed or not connected. Tessa and I had loaded up for the New Year trip, I turned the key - nothing started - I had just reconnected the battery, put all the 'big' wires on but missed one very small flying negative wire. Might be something similar?

Big update!

here

77,777miles in 3 years

• Leadership Team

Sorry, should have said that it's an Xflow.

Will check all connections again tonight, but could not see anything obviously amiss. What I don;t understand is that there are relays clicking, but no life. For example, if I press the horn switch, I hear a relay, but no power is delivered?

Michael.

Michael

My guess would also be that you have lost a connection on one of the ignition switched 12v lines. I am not familiar with the x-flow wiring specifically but check the back of the ignition switch for a hanging wire.

If there is a plastic cover over the back of the ignition switch (a la K series) then remove it and check the wiring as one of the connections may have dropped off but is being held in approximate place by the plastic cover.

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Michael, Check the back of your altenator. The feed to the fuse box comes from one of those 3 wires according to the wiring diagram I have.

Brown +ve feed in

Brown / yellow out to ignition warning light

Brown feed out to fuse box. Check this is not loose.

Also there is a seperate 10amp fuse that services the instruments and heater. From memory it's second up on left hand side. Check thats not blown.

I did have a pdf format xflow wiring diagram somewhere, I'lll try to dig it out for you.

Bill