Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacing came belt

Pierre Gillet

Thanks to the kindness of Oily Hands, I am ready to replace the cam belt of my 1.6 K engine by a reinforced competition one made by PIPER (a competition flavor in my stock engine...). However , my instruction book says that I need to immobilize the crank shaft with special ROVER tool referenced: 18G 1571.

Question: is it necessary to do so, or is there any other tool or method that can avoid buying this (expensive?)tool?

Cheers,

Pierre

There are several ways to immobilise the crank, you could use a chain wrench on the bottom pulley while undoing the pulley bolt, or you can use a bar of material in through one of the flywheel teeth and allow this to wedge up against the bellhousing to stop the flywheel turning, I think there are a few places round the bellhousing where you can access the ring gear. Putting the car in 4th gear will help a little.

Oily

The pulley has to come off unless you are prepared to break away the lower belt cover and the protective flange on the oil pump..

If you lean on the bar hard enough the bolt *will* come undone, ISTR it took about 300ft/lb to undo a fairly recent one. You could use a piece of scaffold pole...

Oily

OK....call me a Philistine, but I whipped sump of my VX and wedged crank itself with lump of hardwood.........after trying to loosen bolt with 120 foot pipe and 10 mates swinging from it.

Kenny HPC

Was I sorry I bought that steel oil pump gear!!!!!!!!!