Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Is project creep running yet

Normans_Ghost

No - not a happy engine.

More details in techtalk, but basically we couldn't get the VVC plenum to fit - so went back to the placky one. Mav realised that the injectors I'm using (1.6k EU3s) probably weren't what the map was expecting, so after speaking to DVA, we scaled the map to the point where the engine would run - very badly.

I tried to drive home (everybody was tired by this point) - made it 1/4 of a mile before losing the clutch cable. Back on the road (thanks PP/Mav once again for coming out to help), the engine was seriously unhappy - very loud pinking. I made it about 5 miles @ 30mph before quitting in a layby. V7 came out to help, we further-revised the injector-scaling to the point where I could cruise @ 50mph back home.

We might be able to get away with scaling the injectors - they *might* be sufficient for the power I'm hoping for - but the map is way-out and I don't think the engine/map is happy with the cr@ppy-placky plenum.

I've retired for the night - couldn't even manage to empty the car - I had to drive the last 12 miles in the rain, with an aeroscreen with no eye-protection. Sod.

Many thanks to PP, Ballast, Mav, Chris__, Alex, V7 and anybody else I've forgotten.

Plenty of work to do - I don't think the car is in a fit-state to limp down to Emerald at the mo. for the Feb 24th (IIRC) mapping session - certainly not in a fit-state to get some running-in miles on the clock.

I hope I haven't done any damage by the transient heavy-pinking for the first 5-miles or so.... ☹️

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Norman,

The ECU is no longer the top-problem on the list - I think I'd almost got it to the point of being able to make it to Emerald anyway.

Nope, what we have now (and this will rightly cause some wry-smiles) is mayo.

Not Chef Mayo, but good old-fashioned mayo in the oil. I noticed I was losing coolant - and I guess I've found out where it's gone... ☹️

It's either the HG (possibly damaged during storage/shipping/installation) or the liners might have moved at some point.

The head will have to come off and I'll have to have a look. I *really* hope it's just HGF caused by carelessness - as this can be fixed fairly easily. The engine hasn't overheated or blown out any coolant etc. (and the cams looked OK, so I hope everything has been lubed adequately for the 4k rpm and 50 miles we've managed so far).

Ho-hum.

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

is anglesey really in doubt? looking forward to seeing everyone there and showing off the new generation, non-failing 21.... no one else is allowed to bottle it.

I won't offer help as it would probably be counter-productive. accept understanding sympathy and a good manly slap on the back.

I thought lunchtime was reserved for me to race my toy around the track Mav?

I could be up for a race against Dave though... I think my 2 bhp car could beat his 21 round the track, especialyl if you include time for fixing head gaskets etc etc. 😬 😬

Myles, I hope you get things sorted... sounded like your project was well planned, so I'm sure you have some contingency in there and have a logged and regulary reviewed risks register with proposed resolutions and alternatives!! 😬