Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

O/T Help Ford Focus Diesel fault

Rob Walker

Joining the motorway put my foot down and felt two big gaps in the engine pulling and the engine preheater light flashed during the two cuts. Drove another 30 miles and the engine cut again but I lost all throttle and coasted onto the hard shoulder the engine was still idleing, but no throttle and the preheater light was on. I stopped and restarted the engine and its run fine over the last two days? The car is the TDDI , its was over half full of fuel, I had been driving for 3 hours so it was at the correct operating temp. Can anyone offer an explaination or help ?

Many thanks

Rob

iirc the preheater light indicates a fault and not a glowplug problem. My gut feeling is MAF sensor as these tend to show themselves in full throttle situations but really only a proper diagnostic plug in will find it. modern diesels have so many sensors on them that can fail and cause this sort of thing its best to plug it in properly an see.

You could try one of the Ford web groups as they are bound to have seen this before

Edited by - Graham Perry on 5 Feb 2005 10:33:58

Rob

Without WDS (Ford's diagnostic computer) or similar you won't get much further. If this light doubles as the MIL, then it was signifying a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) was stored in the engine ECU. You need these codes reading with WDS to know where to go next I'm afraid.

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. 4000 miles completed!

As Guy says, you are going to need access to a Ford WDS (Worskhop Diagnostic System) to get the codes. These codes will then need to be entered in to the Ford eTIS (Electronic Technical Information System) system for the codes to be explained and a fault analysis path suggested.

The eTIS system is an on-line system that requires a secure link to Ford, but if you have an older Focus diesel then it might be the case that one of the older TIS CD's that are to be found on ebay might provide some information for you. If you have a TDCI then the older TIS system won't help you, but then it would probably still be under Ford warranty.

Both of these bits of kit (WDS & eTIS) will only be found at a Ford garage/authorised repairer.

I too am the owner of a Focus TDCi 115 diesel.

At times I would preface the above sentence with UNFORTUNATELY - especially as I had similar problems to you. Similar, but in addition there were times when,

A/. after heat soak teh car would lose power and throttle response (don't forget it's an electronic throttle).

B/. After short stop the car would fail to start. Lift bonnet for 10 mins until "something" colled down then off to go, all o.k.

Problem is that because it is itermittant fault it probably WILL NOT show up on Ford Diagnostic gear.

Mine was initially thought to be linked to high pressure fuel pump - which they replaced, but finally determined as low quality wiring harness / breaking down of a mul ti plug somewhere under the battery box. (At least that's what they told me).

Good luck, this may not be too easy to solve. I can give you the name of the outfit that sorted mine for me - they may be ale to shed some light on yours ?

Dave

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN: No.69/2003

Model: Focus 1999 (Build Date: 04.08.2002 - 23.04.2003) (Build Code: 2P - 3E) (Engine: 1.8L DuraTorq-TDCi)

Subject: Poor power; delayed accelerator response and/or rough idle, engine hard or impossible to start

Summary

Should a customer express concern over poor power; occasional delayed accelerator response and/or rough idle and the engine is hard or impossible to start, the probable cause is insufficient signal from the camshaft position sensor (CMP sensor). Some vehicles may also have diagnostic trouble code (DTC) 0340 set. To rectify the concern, the signal at the CMP sensor should be increased from 5 volts to 12 volts using a CMP sensor additional wiring harness.

Does this sound about right?

If it does, then the Ford tech bulletin includes details that the dealer would need to submit for a warranty claim. Even if it's out of warranty, it might be worth a go to see if Ford would make a contribution towards the cost of repair. The quoted labour time is half an hour, plus some diagnostic time and the wiring kit.

I have this from a November 2003 TIS CD I acqured from ebay.

Mail me if you want a PDF of the TSB.

Edited by - jingars on 6 Feb 2005 08:47:32

Jingers.

sorry no.

my car is the older TDDI and I have no trouble starting or rough running it simply cut out for a fraction of a second when accelerating twice and then died ( engine would idle only no throttle response) after driving a further 30 miles. Looks like a trip to the dreaded Ford dealer is on the cards Yuk!