Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Elite Sequential Gear Boxes

Bananaman

My QM clutch has been fine. Infact Tony at QM replaced a plate FOC after I felt it was not absolutely flat. Anyway, the point i wanted to throw in here is a sort of sawing noise I get when braking into a sharp corner and the drive traincarries a bit of engine braking or when i reverse aggressively, like when your trying to wheel spin. I'm sure the noise is coming from the clutch area of the gearbox. I've checked everything. Quaiffe say...no idea...Phil has checked/rebuilt the diff...all ok...took engine out (I was convinced the noise sounded like the clutch plates spinning on the spline).. all OK no wear marks on plates or input shaft *confused*

Can anyone suggest something I might have missed?

Alex, I don't think a collapsed spigot bearing would cause the splines to strip as the plates would align themselves. I may be wrong. I've only ever seen splines strip on a centre plate once before and that was in the sixties on a, then new, Mini Cooper S. We never got to the bottom of that either.

Captain Chaos, Is your's a twin palte unit. If so and it's the lug design it may be the 2 plates "ratling" on the cover. The AP unit has sring covers on the legs which the lugs sit in and these cushion some of this rattle. The QM unit doesn't. My QM unit was very noisy from this rattle.

If you have no other problem and it's working OK then don't worry too much. Let others have a listen to see if a fresh pair of ears come up with an answer.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here

CC,

It implies something is moving forwards under braking or reversing - Next time the engine is out, it might be worth checking the first motion shaft cannot move forwards and check the condition of the spigot bush in th crank. - But then again, that's only my own paranoia after my unusual failure.

My QM twin plate is a very noisy clutch, but only when disengaged.

Alex