Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brown Gunge

Gridgway

whilst doing my normal checks, I found that the transparent header tank had a layer of brown gunge in. It was clear last time I checked which was in May with the previous engine in. I took the top off the tank , put my finger in and it was kind of brown and gungy!

Anyone any ideas what this might be?

My Vx suffered from this oily gunge until earlier this year. I can only suggest that it due to the time spent idle. I too thought it was a porous head but my water has stayed blue this year. If it is a porous head, then you need to drain and change/flush the water occasionally, or have it treated. I know a guy who had a problem where his hoses had gone rotten from the inside due to the oil in the water.

Gridgway,

If it's a brown mousse-like emulsion, then you have an oil leak into the cooling system - as I said before if you have a VX 2.0 XE this is from a porous head - been there, got the T-shirt, don't want another!

The discolouration you get from having little or no antifreeze in the system is just suspended rust particles with a cloudy brown non-sticky/non-gungy appearance - if you've got oil going in there, the emulsion gunge you get is unmistakeable.... and from your description, it sound like that's what you have

Paul