Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What can I replace the speedo with?

Nick VVC

After having the standard speedo go kaput and be fixed no less than 4 times in 2.5 years I think it's time for a different approach!

I've got a Stack St500 unit fitted in the rev counter housing, which incorporates a speed display in the LCD at the bottom. So, given that I've an excellent rev counter & speedo that work fine, does anybody have any ideas as to what I could fit to replace the knackered speedo?

I asked Stack if there were any plans to add various options to the ST500 as I wanted *only* this on the dash.

The response was more along the lines that they can't fit any more into the unit and, more importantly, onto the connector they use.

I bought an 8130 road dash instead which did the job. "Bit" more pricey though!

PS They didn't know I would end up buying a road dash (neither did I!) so I don't think it was flannel!

PPS Maybe you could use the hole as a repository for a can of Coke etc smile.gif. Or if you have a heater, get some ducting and a round vent to give you heat to the torso!

Edited by - Andy Murphy on 25 Sep 2001 23:10:16

Seeing as my car is wired up for a terratrip 303plus trip computer, I'm not realy sure why the only reason (aside from cost) I won't get a St500 is because it doesn't have a trip meter. If the 303 was more weatherproof, I'd have mounted it somewhere permanantly. As it is, it only goes in for long distance runs etc.

Alex

Stack can be a right pain with options for their dashes. I run a data logging dash, I would love to be able to add the odometer and fuel gauges to it. I'd even pay money to add this! However Stack say 'no can do'. The only way I can get all the features I would like is to change my data dash to a road one (ST8130) and then buy a new data logging unit. This would only cost me £1,800, so I'll stick with what I've got.