Click here if you are having website access problems ×

life of a racing K Series

MikeRowland

I'm going to be racing my K series 1.6

I am aware that will considerably shorten it's life.

However, if i was using it in a non racing environment - what would i expect (mileage wise) before a rebuild was required?

For example - i intend to drive around Europe in it a little this year. Am to assume those extra say 2k miles will effect the life badly? Or is it just the racing miles that i need to consider?

It's all about the motorsport....

• Support Team

2000 miles is nothing to a K-series. I do about 5000 a year in mine including track days but if you check some of the other people on this forum you'll see that they are doing 25,000 miles a year with no ill effects to the engine. It's the body work that starts to get a bit tired on high mileage or frequently tracked cars.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

I had a 1.4kss engine in bits that had done 10k miles ish and there was very little wear. It had been taken out of service for a HG failure. Since it was a sealed engine this was a £4k refresh at Minister, or replace. The previous owner had sensibly bought a secondhand one, with the RAC seals for racing. I don't think a bit of road use will affect the rate at which HGs give up, I suspect this is related to being thrashed when cold on a track and subsequent localised overheating/gasket movement as the engine expands.

I second the comment that the basic engine is very strong, so enjoy your trip. With the various HG and engine dowel mods I would hope that this particular Achilles heel has been engineered out.