Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Boots

Simon Dart

I do over 6000m a year in my beloved 1.4K SS and I have got to do something about the tyres. I've got Pilots on the front and Yoko 520's on the back, please don't ask, I just bought the car that way! The balance is not bad at a brisk pace, but push it and you get chronic understeer as you might expect. Given that the favoured sticky self destructing Yoko's blated about would bankrupt me in less than a year, does anyone have any suggestions on tyre that will last the financially challenged 10,000m + on a Seven?

How much are Pilots these days?

70 profile 21Rs will be *much* better than Pilots and are about 45 quid a corner (60 profile are 15 quid or so more).

My guess would be that Pilots will be iro 60 quid or so min.

OK, so penny per mile the Pilots may still be ahead, but not by soooo much.

Also, it's going to depend how you drive and the power of your car. In a 200bhp 7 driven, shall we say enthusiastically, they lasted 6k miles. With a 130bhp(ish) car, less hard on the right pedal etc. and you should be able to stretch this out I would have thought.

Finally, I think they're much better in the wet than Michelins finest, so are safer to boot.

Go onnnn. Treat your 7.

D'you know what? I read the title of this thread and thought - oh great. Someone's going to tell me something I want to know, namely the type and price of boots to buy and from where. What's more, the opening line of the question went one better: ...I do more than 6000 miles a year (lightweight) so I thought "Ex-sell-ent".

Oh dear.

Charels

Not Firestone's PR officer, thank God.

Aren't they now Pilot Exaltos or Exalto Pilots?

I suppose the problem with tyre technology is that it moves on. Yesterday's pile of poop often turns into tomorrow's pile of roses.

However I'd still bet good money (or even bad money) that the Yokos are better than the new Michelins.

How much are 720s/S02s I wonder...you might have to change the softer tyres twice as ofen, but if they cost half as much...

EXALTO Pilots as fitted on my Saxo VTS are excellent, especially in the wet. But I think that they are still second market tyres. They are much better on the wet than the Sx-GT Pilots that are still the standard tyre for new Saxos VTS. By the way, I enjoy very much driving my Saxo VTS. Very lively car . Splendid chassis. And so tail happy...

Pierre

I gave ProTyres in Gloucester a ring who will do 4x 185/60x14 RE720's for £177 all in. Sounds good to me. By the way Comma Girl, do you drive your seven in your boots? (Steady, now) My feet are not big and I have enough trouble not to tread on all the same pedals at the same time in deck shoes.

I've been running 720's this year for road and sprints , the tyre ( as list 1a goes ) is'nt bad at all and excellent value for money .

If driven hard on the road I would expect you to see about 6K out of them - 185bhp k series .

They claim to have a 'dual' compound and the grip level is much better when they are half worn .

Dave