Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

sump guard

grumpy the 7th

Further to previous posts

I've been playing with cardboard under the car and I've made a template to cable tiewrap on the crucifix at the front and to the 'Y' frame under the footbox's for a 'protective cover' to the sump pan.

Another suggestion is to use the engine mounting bolts (longer ones) and fasten a formed plate to these and to something solid at the back of the engine area.

It's function is only there for scraping (slowly) over humps & the like, as opposed to a fully fledged guard to repell boulders & kerbs at high speed. The intention is to make it out of 3/16 ali or 3/32 steel plate.

Any thoughts?

rog

C7 TNT - it's dynamite (Honda Irish Green and Peugeot Graphite grey )

That's a thought *thumbup*

I actually "borrowed" a roadworks sign for the purpose some months ago. Got it home & found it was 1/4" fibreglass, I cut it to shape but couldn't get it to bend properly without putting stress fractures in it *wink*

rog

C7 TNT - it's dynamite (Honda Irish Green and Peugeot Graphite grey )

I have made up a polypropelene (sp) guard which is about 10mm thick.

It runs from the front cross menbers to behind the bellhousing, it is easy to cut on a bandsaw and can be bent once heated on a strip heater.

It is the same material as a plastic cutting board. I can send you some pictures if you want.

Regards, John.

On a Westie I used for trialling, I put a bar across the chassis attached to the rear lower front wishbone mounting using longer bolts. The 3mm thick steel guard was bolted to that, bent down under the sump and bolted to the two lower bolt holes on the bell-housing, with a welded on "tail-piece" under the g.box to all that to slide over protubrances rather than bring us to a halt.

Never noticeably any additional vibration - but then again I did have smoe M12 cap-heads thro the engine mounting to stop them flexing and allowing the engine moving too much.

Bri

"...1/4" fibreglass, I cut it to shape but couldn't get it to bend properly without putting stress fractures in it" - have you tried heating it up? Probably not the best material for the job though, since it'll probably flex/fracture when it scrapes over a speed bump.

Mike