Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Geared Starter Motor for VX 2.0l

Peter MarieEa

Has anyone replaced the standard Bosch starter with a Geared Starter? Bosch ofcourse makes them as does NipponDenso.

Don't know the fitment model, if there is one for the VX engine.

The reason I'm interested is that while my car runs great, I have too much static advance with the standard ignition on my HPC.

As a result the engine frequently kicks back when starting. A geared starter would be an easy way to solve the problem.

Cheers

.Peter M.

Quick7

If you have an engine managment system you should be able to program an extra input for starting retard. If you're running a dizzy, get an MSD 8982 start retard box. The retard box will give you 10 or 25 degrees of retard to save the starter.

There's a cheap alternative as well. Put a interupt button in the ignition that keeps the plugs from firing. Hold the button down while cranking to get the starter up to speed. Release button the button to start. There's more than a few fixed timing race cars that use this method.

-Bob

95 HPC VX

“There's a cheap alternative as well. Put a interupt button in the ignition that keeps the plugs from firing. Hold the button down while cranking to get the starter up to speed. Release button the button to start”

Thanks Bob

What a great and simple idea! Just the solution I need for a mate of mine with this very problem with a motorcycle!

Web site updated!!

Thanks for the feed back.

My 94 HPC is on carbs' consiquently their is no problem getting the engine to spin at the maximum speed the standard starter will allow without the engine firing if the throttles are closed. It is opening the throttles once the engine is spinning that still results in frequent kickbacks.

Unless I'm missing something I don't think an interupt button is going to

help much.

A mate of mine with a Toyota racing engined Seven clone runs 36 degrees of fixed advance had a worse problem than myself; fitted a NipponDenso geared starter and has never had it kicked back since. Hence my interest in a geared starter.

Regards,

Peter M.

Quick7