Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dashboard change

owlscastle

Possible numpty question.

Is there a simple way of removing the dash in order to upgrade to a stack dash.

It is riveted into the chassis with most of the rivets tucked under the edge of the scuttle. A bit difficult to access with a drill.

Once its out, do you rivet the new one in or do people stick it or screw it ?

Thanks

Ritchie

I believe that the rolled edge that goes under the lower edge of the dash is riveted - but the upper-edge is bonded (silicone?).

CC will sell you a dash (cf or ali) with the Stack cut out for you.

Personally, I want an ali dash blank so that I can place switches and instruments where I want.

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Ritchie,

You need to remove the scuttle to get to the dash fittings. The amount of time this takes will be more than saved in that it provides easy access to the instrument wiring. Mine was riveted top and bottom. The new carbon one I fitted with small self tappers that are all but invisible once the scuttle is back in place.

CC sell either blanks or pre-cut. There are other suppliers though such as RiF and MOG. Cutting your own holes is easy with some drills and a Dremel.

Steve.

• Support Team

Removing those rivets makes the job much easier but is a pain and then you need to decide whether to just rivet it back or use rivnuts.

The scuttle is actually a one piece design consisting of the top bit that your windscreen rests on and the vertical plate the top is rivetted too. To remove it in one go (assume windscreen removed) you need to undo two nuts on the inside of the curved top piece. These nuts are screwed onto captive bolts just about where your knees are - if you have the little trim panels there you 'll need to remove them first. You then need to detach the fuse box and anything else from that vertical panel, and then the whole scuttle assembly lifts out.

Hope that makes sense.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

just done this, as the guys say two bolts under the dash each side, and mine was siliconed in place across the front where the vertical part meets the horizontal panel where the heater sometimes sits,I cut this with a long bladed stnley knife, and I also had two large rivets at the side of the scuttle where it meets the side skin, near the door opening, plan to replace these with a rivnut and fit a small csk bolt, think there was also some bolts where the steering comes through, It took me about 45mins to remove including taking off the wind screen, wich i neednt have done.

kevin R

J457 DNU

black-ali HPC

Thanks Kevin.

Sounds easy enough.

I had an unsuccessful neck surgery for a broken odontoid process I aquired while performing low level aerobatics in a Chevrolet SUV. ☹️ Consequently, I had to have my upper cervical vertebrae fused together. I have no way of working comfortably under the scuttle of my car.

I can't wait to pull the scuttle and put some order to my under dash wiring projects. *smile* *thumbup*

-Bob

95 HPC VX

By far the hardest part of the whole operation was to break the bond of the silicon at the front vertical joint, but like i said get a thin long blade and it does the job, best if there are two to lift the scuttle from both sides evenly, good luck.

kevin R

J457 DNU

black-ali HPC