Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tax disk holder on windscreen bolt query

Frying Pan

Bought a carbon tax disk holder before the kit was delivered, and still haven't fitted it 😳 Determined to do this when I renew the tax March 1st 😬

Quick question if you have fitted one in the 'usual' place - the windscreen support bracket. Did you need to source a longer bolt? When I looked at this, there didn't seem to be much spare thread showing through the end of the nyloc nut, certainly not enough to accomodate the extra width of the tax disk mount.

If a new bolt is needed, any idea of the spec required?

Cheers

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. 4000 miles completed!

Guy,

Just popped out and had a look. Inside panels were off anyway. My bolt with Tax disc holder is flush with the nut if you see what I mean or in other words nut fully screwed on but only just. This is a standard original bolt AFAICS

Graham

Thanks all!

Looks like the standard bolt is OK length wise then.

Myles - Surprised that you say 'It's not really doing very much' - surely the force from the airflow on the screen at speed is quite high *confused*

Norman - Good idea *thumbup* - I'll see what that looks like as well.

Guy

Maybe worth mentioning that when I did this, I tried to slacken the bolt with an Allen key which was a mistake as the hex socket of the bolt was quite soft and distorted. Fortunately I was still able to slacken the nyloc off from behind and remove it but had to replace the bolt.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally fitted it with the new tax disk today.

Used the forward bolt on the stanchion, and have the holder 'hanging' down.

As the bolts were very close to the paint, I've protected the side skin with a carbon fibre protector patch from Halfords - designed for bikes. Bought these to protect the paint under the bonnet spring retainers, but had some left over.

Thanks for the advice all *thumbup*

Guy