Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Naff Dampers !

CHRIS CLARK

Those who know me also know that I've been complaining about the poor handling of late of my dear (expensive?)'93 Caterham, & its propensity to bump its sump with the 13" wheel set up. (The 'Rumble'-----Tom's Lane?)

Well, finally got around to removing a front damper for checking. Standard set up ie. no adjustable platforms, 150Lb spring etc.

Well, when I got the spring off (having built a home-made rig to do so as proprietery ones all seemed too large for the tight coils) & compared the operation with a newish damper (longer body one, but still the same 52mm stroke to the bump stop) it proved interesting.

Hardly a scientific test, but after compressing both dampers to the bump stops my existing damper(?) got to its fully extended state (ooh err!) 10 seconds faster than its 'rival'.

Anyone want an oil filled tube?thumbsdown.gif

Are you sure that both were adjusted the same - if they are adjustable (i.e. Spax). Or, indeed, that they are both valved the same? How did the compression of the two compare - might just be bad rebound etc?

Is it a live or a De-Dion car?

Phil Waters

The car in front must be less in control teeth.gif

Oh and yes, I clouted my Sump - BIG TIME - on the Rumble - had a good look at S' Mimms and it wasn't leaking having told the better half not to look away from the gauge smile.gif.

Thats with 13" wheels and 310lb front springs so I have decided to need to jack the whole car up to avoid this - but then I know my car sufferes from Bump steer then. Must be a way of spending loads of money to fix it - Caterham.....?

Phil Waters

Hi Nigel,

Yeah, I have seen the low sump and it looks really good but I am planning a Zetec this winter so mine will do for the last few nice days we get this year.

Also I think I have clouted mine so often that it is about as high now smile.gif

Phil Waters

Phil,

Were you going anticlockwise on the Rumble - and did you clout the sump about halfway between the first pub at Great Warley and South Mimms??? (Toms lane was the other side of South Mimms)

It was such a huge jolt I saw the bonnet lift about an inch from the nosecone as we hit it!

I did the same. Sheared an engine mount, but the engine mount restraint held it together. Proves they work, although I do hae a dent in the bonnet where the exhaust hit it!

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Edited by - fat arnie on 21 Sep 2001 12:12:02

Arnie,

Yes I was going Anti-ways and the position sounds about right. It was on a downhill section with trees linning the road on the left hand side and a field (I think on the right). The road seemed to be 'puckered' up in several places and I just didn't see the biggest one smile.gif

I checked the engine mounts when I got home and they seem to be fine - being a light X/flow I think the front just bounced as 'one' wink.gif

Phil Waters

Chris: My 92 spec car has a different damper valving to that of a 96 car (assume that yours has the same as mine had). The longer damper body indicates that you're looking at the newer valving with that damper so you'll get what you got. The latest dampers to replace yours from Caterham have the new valving too so just replace them with newer items but understand why they'll be better. The car will be transformed.

Nigel Mills - 2.0 Zetec carbs

Hello Fellow Rumbleurs cool.gif

From memory, we think it was the bit after all the roundabouts near Waltham Abbey, where we went north (as a clocker) on the B181 towards Broadley Common. It was just as bumpy on our side of the road and great quantities of forward velocity were chucked overboard in an effort to avoid sumptuous catastrophes wink.gif

BTW, I have had a couple of thoughts for '02, but will start another thread to be concise and within the guidelines of good rumbling practice.

FH teeth.gif

A couple of years ago I was chatting to Reg Price (name dropper) re the spec of my bilsteins and he said that a company called Pilot could rebuild them to any spec I wanted for approx 50 quid a corner. Pilot were on 01455 285850, talk to Julian or Richard.

Never did it though so can't comment on how well it worked. Ended up paying just over twice as much per corner for Ledas and getting something that is adjustable.