Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Oil Change Intervals For Track Only Car (Silkolene & Mobil1)

YellowSeven

Sorry I appreciate this has probably been done to death but I cant find a definative answer! So..,

After how many miles would you change a fully synthetic PAO Ester based oil running in a K series (1.6K) that is only used on the track?

1000 miles? more? less?

Opinions welcome

As a rule-of-thumb, it has been suggested that 1 track-mile is worth 10 road-miles in terms of wear and tear on the car.

Soooo - on that basis, anywhere between 500-1200 miles depending on how hard you use the car.

I don't think there *is* a definitive answer - some people will change the oil for every td, others will run road-interval maintenance.

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

I have no idea. My car gets a lot of track these days. I did not quite 1600 miles last year and changed the oil and filter twice. That's probably well over the top but as it's pretty cheap to do and I feel more comfortable just doing it. Using Caterham Motor Sport oil that's seems pretty well ok for road use. I tried Mobil 1 Motor Sport but that needed warming up before driving I think and seemed the wrong thing to do with a 1600K. Bog standard Mobil 1 seemed to get a bit watery on track as I don't have an oil cooler. The CMS oil seems fine.

C7 CDW

I change my oil and filter every 3000 miles. I will do same after a hard trackday, even if oil was changed last week.

Oil & filter = £35

New engine= (a lot more)

Everyone gets sidetracked on how long oil lasts. Changing oil (and filter) will drain out any swarf - and that may be more important.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here