Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which handcleaner do you use?

grumpy the 7th

I was making some meatballs over the weekend (with the mandatory glass or two of Shiraz) and whilst needing the meat & ingredients I noticed how clean my hands were becoming 😳 😳 😳.

My mind went on to 'proper' hand cleaners.

My earliest recollection of cleaning oil & gunge off my hands was a mixture of 'Vim' & washing up liguid (for those of you old enough to remember powdered Vim, I remember spoonfulls of CodLiver Oil *mad*) - this cleaned your hands Ok but left them a bright red colour as I'd probably burned the skin off them with the alkaline. It also made the bare flesh (skin removed when the spanner slipped off or

'knuckle rash') Sting like Hell 🙆🏻

I progressed to Swarfega - very good but smelly 😬

I now use 'Dabs' made by Tetrosyl Ltd with polygrains *confused* *confused* *confused* whatever they are 🤔 This is very good & smells 'nice' 😬 😬

rog

C7 TNT - it's dynamite (Honda Irish Green and Peugeot Graphite grey )

There are some really good biodegradeable cleaners on the market that use citric acid (leaves you hands smelling nice too). Admitedly, my experience is from maintaining bicycles, so I don't know how they stand up against engine gunk.

For really mucky hands I still use finish line bio degreaser and dettol.

BTW you can still get vim powder, and vim and washing up liquid is really good if you haven't torn your hands to pieces.

Prevention being better than cure, using a barrier cream before you get started makes hand cleaning much easier.

I bought a huge bottle of barrier cream from MachineMart before I started building and it seems to do the trick. About a fiver IIRC.

If I'm dealing with anything nasty (brake fluid) etc., I use latex gloves - box of 100 was another fiver at MachineMart.

I use Swarfega at the end of the day.

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. 4000 miles completed!

Centrex Red - cheap in 25ltr drums and generally excellent.

Manista started to annoy my hands after a year fo two.

Swarfega left my hands feeling greasy - but still keep some as it's great for oily clothes- pour on, massage in well, stick in normal wash - come out nearly new!

Bri

Washing up liquids are not kind to hands or cars, they contain salt etc which dry your hands out. The wording "kind to hands" compaired to other washing up liquids maybe true.

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR

As anyone who has been here to the farm and got greasy hand will tell you, there is only one product. Loctite 7850, it is a natural hand cleaner made from citrus rinds plus pumice powder, is biodegradable. Contain no syththetic solvents, mineral oil, nor petroleum distillates, etc., etc.

Works without water, therefore if you need to clean-up at the roadside, simply use and wipe off and enjoy the pleasant smell of oranges.

A 3 litre pump action jar is £14 and I tend to buy it in bulk as everyone who uses here, then ask me if I can buy them a jar.

... and if your read this Arnie, you still owe me £14.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine