Click here if you are having website access problems ×

sva and wing mirrors

phatcat

Just got my car through the SVA. The advice I was given was to fit the mirrors to the windscreen supports for the SVA, apparently they can vibrate too much when fitted to the doors for them to pass.

I am now thinking about moving them to the door, as with them on the screen, the doors will not stay open.

i can tell you that mine definitely passed (last week) with the mirrors mounted to the Windscreen.

I didn't have any doors. My advice is take off the doors and mount them to the screen. We know that definitely works.

I think (as someone said earlier) the vibration can be a problem - also the rule is that they have to be set to see as much as possible. On outside of sidescreens, that isn't the case.

It's a total farce, because anything about about 50mph and all you see is the floor when they fold in!

It's all about the motorsport....

Fit them to the screen for the SVA, then once its passed fit them to the doors.

The reason behind this is if the mirrors are fitted to the doors, then the doors are classed as doors.

This means they wil need to pass the new side impact regulations.

As they are made from vinyl they will not pass this test!

However, if the mirrors are mounted on the screen, then the doors will no longer be classed as doors, and as a result they will not need to meet the new side impact regulations!

Don't you just love red tape? *wink*

phatcat,

If you're missing the mirror adaptors to fit them to the windscreen supports then let me know. I have a pair that I used for my SVA last July sat in the garage.

Definitely need to be mounted to a "permanent" part of the car and the side screens a re not longer considered good enough.

Steve.