Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Newbie question alert: Roadsport vs Superlight

CHip

CHip

Unless you want the superlight badge there is no reason why you shouldn't go for a high spec roadsport:

I have upgraded my Roadsport to include:

6 speed gearbox

wide track suspension

uprated brakes

+ removed the rear spare wheel + carrier

I decided I could do with out the carbon bits + LSD (not sure if this was standard on all superlights)

Equally you sometimes see superlights that have been "down graded" eg. no carbon bits, windscreen (rather than aeroscreen), leather seats rather than light-weight tillets

I regard my car as a quasi-superlight ie. something between a Roadsport and a Superlight

KevSull, your implication that race teams bodge accident damaged cars back together and sell them on cheap is nonsense.

Sorry, this bit I missed. I think he says

there were some horrific accidents (everyone walked away though) where cars looked fit for the scrapyard, they get fixed and sold to people wanting to save a bit of cash

Is this not what happens? A old racecar is always less in cost than a road car on the same age.

I thought to buy a racecar but there was too much work to make legal for import.

Now I have a roadcar and am happy with my decision to buy.

Race cars tend to offer better value for money.

In general if the car has been a front runner in a race series it will be in better shape( chassis/mechanicals) than the majority of purely road going cars. The only damage that tends to get ignored ( or not replaced all of the time) is purely the cosmetic stuff.

MikeW

Mega Grad

MikeW this is true

But racecars have more chance of having crashes.

This is normal in racing.

Also they are restored for the next racing meeting to be safe for the race.

I think old racecars have good prices but I must expect their to be history of maybe damage and restore.

Otto - the only reason the price may be reduced is one of perceptions like yours. Damaged cars go back to Arch and get fixed properly, if people can't afford to get cars fixed properly, they don't race them. Trust me, there is no joy in racing in a series in a car that is less sound than the competition.

And to be honest if a car goes back to Arch, it is effectively renewed not repaired - after all they made it in the first place, and the way the chassis are built means that it is not welding together the broken bits, it is fitting brand new sections. Oh and while they are at it, most will renew associated brackets and fittings because no racer will want something to fail mid race, so prevention by spending a few extra quid on new bits is far, far better than a failure in the middle of a race when the car is on the edge of its performance! I am sure you are happy with your decision, but it is not really a matter of a road car being 'safer'.

G for Geoff

GTD Geoff

Otto - the only reason the price may be reduced is one of perceptions like yours

This is not right of you to say!

I say

But racecars have more chance of having crashes.

This is normal in racing.

Also they are restored for the next racing meeting to be safe for the race

Sorry if my english fails me but to me it is clear what I say

Race cars are made to be safe to race always. If crashed they are restored to like new.

They are sold for less because they have been to race and to race can make damage (this is restored to make safe to race again)

I think to buy racecars will give a good money saving

My car was for the road since new. This allows me to import easily as with the racecar I need much work done to import.

Sorry if I upset you but my words are true.

Ottomar

Soon to 7 😬