Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Help required - Fitting new clutch

Shaun_E

• Support Team

I have a new AP clutch as supplied by Caterham but not sure how to go about fitting it.

1. Which way round does the clutch plate go? The centre sticks out further on one side of it and this would appear to fit in the clutch cover neatly - is this the correct way?

2. I have an old gearbox input shaft for an alignment tool - how do I use this? I assume that I loosely fit the cover, then put the input shaft in place to centre the clutch plate and finally tighten the cover. Is there anything else to it?

3. I have lost the bolts for the clutch cover ☹️. What size and specification are the bolts? Ideally I need to be able to get some tomorrow (Sunday), otherwise I'll have to wait until next week to order some from Caterham.

Thanks,

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Shaun, the centre plate will only fit one way. the flat side goes to the flywheel and the raised bit with the springs go to the cover.

Put the 1st motion shaft throught the center plate, offer cover to flywheel and locate dowels. fit screws and nip up evenly all round whilst centering the centre plate with the shaft pushed fully in. When starts getting tight ensure you can pull out and push in the shaft fairly easily. Then tighten the cover bolts bit by bit and at opposite sides till they are all tight. If you're not sure how tight they should be use a torque wrench and tighten to recommend lb/ft.

Before assmebling make sure all oil and grease is removed from flywheel & cover plate surface. I use thinners. Some suggest white grease on the splines. If you use the car all round don't bother but if the car is in the garage over winter lightly apply a small amount of white grease to the splines. Over greaseing may lead to grease on the friction plate.

I'm not sure what size the clutch bolts are.

Where abouts are you? Email me if you need any more help.

Any

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here

I think you'll *have* to get the bolts from CC.

I was gifted an AP clutch for my project - but I was advised that I should ask CC for bolts for the specific clutch/flywheel combination I've got (R500 f-wheel) because the bolts differed to those used on the old flywheel with the same clutch...

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

• Support Team

Norman, thanks for the instructions - they make sense. I'm a bit far away from you in sunny Slough but I'll drop you a line if I get stuck.

Myles, I was afraid that might be the case ☹️. Looks like my engine won't be going back in this weekend. Oh well I'm sure there's other stuff I can be doing.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Shaun

Some flywheels are M7 bolts eg My past SLR (you'll need to get these from Caterham but check them before you leave as they'll probably give you the wrong ones!) Angus's lightened flywheel was M8's, I think i've a set of of the M7's in the garage, if you want to try them and I definitely have suitable M8's

drop me a mail

Mark

• Support Team

Have checked with Caterham and the correct value is 8-12 lbft. Their engine shop use 11 lbft.

Now I did mine up to about 20lbft. Caterham said it probably wouldn't cause a problem but that it was my call.

If anyone here has changed a clutch recently can they tell me what value they used. What are people views on whether I should undo the bolts and retighten to the recommended value? Would it do more harm than good - maybe requiring new bolts?

Yellow SL *cool* #32

I'll need to check Haynes for what we did mine up to a few weeks ago.

FWIW, I had my crank, flywheel and clutchcover dynamically balanced as an incremental assembly - so I had to supply them with all of the bolts.

Obviously we then had to pull the assembly apart (to get the friction-plate in for starters) - so we've torqued the bolts up at least twice.

Being as they've not experienced any shear-forces yet, I'd have thought it would be fine to remove them and retorque provided that you reapplied an appropriate (*if* appropriate) thread-lock.

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

• Support Team

Cheers Myles - please let me know what torque the Haynes manual gives. I did use threadlock as a belt and braces job- they definitely won't be coming out but on the other hand if they are too tight is there a chance that they could put unwanted stresses on the flywheel? I think I may have to split the engine and gearbox again - bu99er ☹️.

Yellow SL *cool* #32