Click here if you are having website access problems ×

zetec coolant temp/sensor

pete tudor

Recently converted to 1800 zetec running with dcoe 45's,kent 2002 cams and alloy rad from R500 together with james whiting plumbing arrangement.

R/R gives apprx 138 BHP at wheels and seems to go ok.

But I am not sure if the coolant is running rather hot.

The (pathetic) smiths gauge indicates about 95-100 deg C when the stat opens, and the engine appears to run about 100 - 115+ DegC.

I still have the Ford temp sensor unused in the stat housing and thought I could check actual temperatures with multimeter if someone knows the calibration?

Does any Zetec experts know either the correct design running temp and/or the characteristics of the Ford sensor?

I have also noticed that there appears to be a lot of heat returing via the by-pass/heater tube circuit compared to the radiator cool return line, suggesting the stat may not be opening enough?

Any zetec experiences appreciated!

Take the sensor out, pop it in a pan on the cooker and this will give you a spot on number for 100 degC.

If you're really keen then you'll need a thermometer to calibrate the rest of the curve but they're pretty cheap from Boots (brewing section) or similar.

I think I've got a calibration curve for the Vauxhall engine temp sensor if that's of interest. Mail me off list and I'll attach it.

My 2.0 zetec runs at around 80 degrees, rising to 90 in traffic.

I had a problem where the guage was showing 120degrees , plugged the laptop into the ecu and this told me I was actually running at 80 degrees. So I bought a new sensor and guage from racetech (about 25 quid all in), and this showed the correct temperature.

Edited by - julians on 19 Sep 2001 13:05:12

Pete,

off topic but how do you find the 2002 cam, did it fit straight in, I was under the impression that with the higher lift (over the 2001) piston/valve clearance might be a problem.

(I have 1800 on 40DCOEs and want to upgrade the cams)

Regards,

allen

allen,

I fitted the 2002 cams after recommendation from James Whiting, who advised that there is no requirement with these spec cams for checking piston/valve clearance.

I took him at his word and fitted with no further thoughts!(Perhaps in retrospect I should at least have checked!!) Anyway, no problems so far and engine produced aboutb 138 BHP @ 7000-7500 measured at wheels (estimate 165-170BHP @ flywheel)so seems pretty good to me.

I never drove the car with standard cams so cannot comment on improvement. For interest I plotted the measured power against my old crossflow with 234 cam and dcoe40's measured on the same r/r and noticed that whilst the power was substantially higher (37%) at maximum power the zetec only produced more power above 4000 RPM and was in fact down on power under 4000 RPM.

The trouble is I have not improved my lap times at local sprints, - so it must be the driver not lack of power - very depressing!!

Peter.

Pete

There are two sensors on the Zetec. The one with about a 10mm thread which is for the temp gauge and the one with the large thread which is for the ECU. The standard Ford sensor does not work with VDO or Racetech gauges and gives a high reading. I suggest you get the matching sensor for the gauge you are using.

Our road car runs at 85C during normal driving and up to 100C on the track. Fords designed the Zetec to run quite hot 90C at least for fuel consuption reasons

The car in front is a Westfie1d wink.gif

I think that it's important to bear in mind where the temperature is being read (i.e. immediately behind the cylinder head. More important I would think is the temprature that enters the engine. My water heats up very quickly when I boot it but as soon as it's done one circuit of the radiator it cools quite quickly. Looks really odd though. Mine runs at about 92degC ll the time. Water in should be at around 80 I think. not sure if my gauge works correctly though.

What gauge do other people use?

Nigel Mills - 2.0 Zetec carbs