Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Bare Ali Body - questions

MikeRowland

I know this has been covered before - about how to clean it etc

What i don't think has been covered specifically is how bad does it get affected?

I'm picking my newly registered bare ali car up on Saturday - it's 160 miles away from my house.

If i drive it back - and it gets salt on it - how long do i have to get it cleaned up before it gets marked? And is the marking permanent? or can it be reversed?

And also - if i clean it when i get home - do i have to completely dry it before putting it in the garage?

thanks

It's all about the motorsport....

Edited by - MikeRowland on 28 Jan 2005 16:45:46

I haven't driven my car through salty conditions much, so I don't have a ton of experience, but I would say wash it off as soon as you can when you get home. That doesn't mean you can't go in and pi$$ first if you have to, etc. But I wouldn't let it sit salty for much more than 1/2 hour or so.

From what I have heard, once you get the dreaded white spots, it is a LOT of work to remove them. More than just polishing. Think you need to revert to aggressive cutting compound, or possibly even fine sandpaper.

I'm sure others will be along to offer their experiences.

Mike,

I would not risk driving the car back on salted roads. It will mark almost straight away and the corrosive mix will also get into places that you cannot clean. Borrow an enclosed trailer.

As regards washing it and cleaning it no special treatment is necessary I wash mine with warm water and non silicon car shampoo and rinse then wash leather dry. The ali only needs polishing twice a year. Belgin Ali Polish seems to be the best stuff.

Edited by - Rob Walker on 28 Jan 2005 17:29:43

Chris 😬 - exactly my experience - wish I had had it painted from the start. My experience - buy an ali bodied one, wait until the suspension comes off to upgrade to wide track, and ten get it painted!

More seriously, the sugestion to cover it in WD40 is good advice - and to be frank that was the only 'polish' mine ever saw before it was covered in paint!

Edited by - Mrs GTD on 30 Jan 2005 12:58:21

"I would not risk driving the car back on salted roads. It will mark almost straight away and the corrosive mix will also get into places that you cannot clean"

So you are suggesting not driving the car for at least 4 months each year *confused*

Supercheese R250

Caterham pictures here 😬

You would be best off to use aircraft products to maintain the aluminium.

Wadpol is a wadding for polishing ali. It is used on leading edges and props to clean and protect. Then, for outside surfaces use a special wax polish (WAX - not anything that says 'cleaner polish') Aerowax would do the job. For the unseen parts that need protection use a non-emulsifying grease. CP grease would do the job well with few applications. You might also want to look at XMP which is a spray on metal protection which forms a skin. There is also XMPx for harsher environments. Look at Light Aero for info.

I'm not connected with Lightaero in any way, other than as a satisfied customer.

lightaero are: here get the catalogue - more stuff than you ever knew you wanted!

I found them when looking for 'torqueseal' it's a security paint which shows if fixings have been tampered with. Put a bead across the edge of nuts bolts etc, and you won't have to keep torquing them up to 'make sure' - just inspect the bead, if it's cracked or missing, the bolt is easing itself.

thanks all. Great advice there.

I probably should have mentioned that it's a race car - although road legal - so it won't stay in concourse condition anyway. *confused*

I did drive it back - i used the WD40 idea etc - then when i got back cleaned it with clean water and dried it with a shammy cloth.

I've just done over 100 miles on my first official blat to Devon and back. Again, it seems to be ok. I'm not sure what damage i'm expecting to see it.

it has kind of streaks on it etc, but they appear to wash off. Although i have just done it in the darK! 😳

I suppose worst case scenario it won't be that bad because it's going to be covered in stickers on the side skin and the bonnet could alway be sprayed up quite easily i guess.

thanks all

*thumbup*

It's all about the motorsport....