Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CRB pre-load K series

prs

I've just had a new CRB from CC and they have changed the manufacturer. The old bearing had F-202994 made in Brazil and the new one has FRA174C Made in France. The new one doesn't fit the lever arm quite so securely as the old one but I'm sure it'll be ok. I've got a Caterham DS if this makes any difference.

I was going to modify the pedal box and do the two spring setup to increase the preload as shown in LF, so my question is this

is it still ok to do this with the new style bearing. I will contact CC but thought I would enquire to see if anybody else has done it.

Phil S7SVN

Dave CC told me they have been using this new type for about 3-4 months, when did you order yours. I assume the one you fitted had the metal clips with a lug that locates on the lever. The new one is all plastic at the back with plastic lugs as well *confused*

Phil

Myles has only very recently purchased a new one from CC which was Brazilian too. Certainly less than 3 months.

I would have thought even a single spring will be enough as long as it exerts enough pressure to keep the bearing face touching the clutch pressure plate tangs.

I'll search the archives, but I thought this-one was resolved by someone who works for a CRB manufacturer - upshot (as far as I can remember) was that they *were* intended to run with preload.

Back in a bit.... *wink*

...Back!

One or two of us have been in touch with INA about this and it turns out a certain amount of preload is indeed required. The bearing is designed to be constantly in contact with the clutch fingers, with a certain amount of force required to avoid any slip between the bearing face and the clutch fingers. Ford and others use self adjustment mechanisms and what have you, to put this preload on.

From this thread here

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Edited by - Myles on 31 Jan 2005 16:01:48

I thought this-one was resolved by someone who works for a CRB manufacturer - upshot (as far as I can remember) was that they *were* intended to run with preload
As far as the INA CRB is concerned (F-202944), you're right. INA say that a pre-load of 80-120N is essential. Whether the same is true of the FRA174C (SKF?) item, I couldn't say. But I'm intrigued to hear that CC have changed manufacturer due to "quality problems". IMHO, there's nothing wrong with the quality of the INA CRB -- the problem lies with the way the CRB is set up. But I guess it would be a good idea to ask the new supplier (SKF?) directly whether they think a pre-load is necessary for their bearing?

JV

Edited to fix command error!

Edited by - John Vine on 7 Feb 2005 19:42:40