Click here if you are having website access problems ×

7 for Sale. 1.8k-series Roadsport

Alex Birtwisle

Caterham Super 7.

1.8 Roadsport 1998 (S reg)

This car has been my only mode of transport for the past 3 years, come rain or shine. I have clocked up a good 55,000 (indicated) miles in her in this time.

The car has done 69,000 indicated miles, although I can not account for the first 15,000 miles as it was Caterham Cars development car in this time. She is currently Dodge Viper Blue with the Caterham “black pack” fitted. I use the 15” Prisoner alloy wheels fitted with Yokohama A539’s as my “every day” tyre with a spare set of 13” wheels with Yokohama A032’s for track days.

This car has never let me down or suffered from any real trouble in all the miles I have driven her.

As with any car of this type and age there is some cosmetic work that needs to be done to bring her up to “showroom” condition. Mostly paint work on rear wheel arches. She has 12 months MOT and 12 months Tax.

Engine:

Standard 1.8 litre K-Series

Apollo Tank

Cam belt change 1000 miles ago

Oil, oil filter and sump baffle change 300 miles ago (I also have a spare foam sump baffle)

5 speed gearbox

Brakes:

Standard front callipers with EBC Green Stuff pads

Standard rear callipers with Standard pads (I have a selection of other read pads available so one can play with brake balance)

All the disks and pads have been replaced in the last 9 months.

I have a brake proportioning valve that can be plumbed in to the rear brake line to adjust brake balance for track work.

Both front wheel bearings have been replaced in the past 6 months.

Suspension:

Wide track front suspension

200lb (green) springs on front and rear

Adjustable platforms on all four dampers (corner weights done by Mark Hicks at Anglia 7’s so if you weigh 90kg the car will be more or less set up for you!)

Adjustable “over the top” rear anti-roll bar

18mm (thick) front anti-roll bar (green bushes)

De-dion tube replaced two years ago by The 7’s work shop.

Interior:

Standard S-type seats

Push button start

Quick release Momo steering wheel

Luke 6 point harnesses (for both driver and passenger)

FIA roll bar (and Petty Strut)

Battery cut off switch (fitted but not wired yet)

SPA convex mirrors

Extras:

1. 4 x 13” Minator wheels with Yoko A032’s on. These have been used on five occasions (track days). The 32’s are supersoft and therefore no longer road legal but have a good amount of track time left on them. The wheels are in excellent (almost perfect) condition.

2. Weather gear (windscreen, hood, hood bag, doors, wind deflectors, wipers). The car is fitted with an aeroscreen and tonneau at the moment.

3. Supersport Cam’s (inlet and exhaust) that I never got round to fitting.

Images of the car can be seen here.

I am looking for around £11 000 for the above.

Thanks

Alex

Edited by - abirtwisle on 28 Jan 2005 14:01:49

was just about to put a link to pistonheads for this car then noticed this ad!

Looks a great car & very reasonably priced - if only I needed another one!

Good luck with the sale - I will mention it to a couple of pals.

I've driven and passengered in this car a lot...I can vouch for it being a great little car...

Only wish I had the money and the garage space to give it a home. Someone is going to get a great bargain.

*wink*

Rach

Joint Cambridge AO - apparently *eek* 😬

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Very nice car. Is it still for sale? I am looking for a 1.6/1.8 roadsport as my first Caterham. Any purchase would be my only car and have to be used every/most day/s. In addition, I'm sorry to say it'll have to be kept on the road in Wimbledon, London. Slightly concerned with the relatively high mileage. Do you think your car would be suitable? Anyone have any thoughts?

All help to a relative novice gratefully received.