Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which caterham best for first time buyer and what to look for when viewing?

PaulR

Am seriously looking for first caterham and would welcome some guidance.

Intent is to use it for sunny/fun days road use only. Ideally want a reliable, low depreciation (by 7 standards) 7 which won't need excessive tuning/fiddling.

From my research I believe best 7 for us will be a mid to late 90's K series (so that we get the dedion suspension) and I understand that K series engine easiest to look after and retain best used values.

Must be cycle wings and painted (got to look as good as it drives) but dilemma is about which engine and gearbox?

Had decided that basic 1.4 fast enough and read that for road use 5 speed box fine, however chatting to owners more recently have been told that much better to stretch the budget if possible to 1.6 and ideally supersport, 5 speed box I am told is best for road touring use.

Is that good advice? What model/engine/gearbox would you recommend a first time owner to go for?

Seems to be quite a range of asking prices (even for private sales let alone caterhams own secondhand cars) for cars that to me sound to be very similar and I would appreciate advice on what I should be looking at when viewing secondhand cars-was dissapointed at condition of low mileage 1.6K supersport recently inspected at dealers as bubbles in paintwork on body as well as (inevitable?) stone chips on wings and interior "tired" despite low mileage 2000 car.

Experienced owners guidance much appreciated please.

Paul,

depending upon where you are in West Sussex feel free to join us on a Horsham blat as a passenger and you will be able to see what a few of the different models are like as we have a wide variety of cars which come along.

You may find that if you find some of the more experienced owners (not me I am afraid) they may well come and look at a car for you if you ask nicely and provide a curry or beer.

If you are near Horsham and fancy joining us drop me an email through blatchat.

Duncan

Or if you're nearer Chichester then I'd be happy to meet up and have a chat. You could also come along the the next West Sussex West meeting at the Gribble at Oving. Second Wednesday of the month.

In answer to your question though. The most important thing to do is set your budget, decide on your spec (I'll come to that in a mo) and go on condition of the car.

For road use I would think that the larger the engine the better as this will give more torque and make road use more user friendly. The 6 speed was originally designed for the 1.4 as this needs to be revved to get the est out of it. A 1.6/1.8 with a 5sp box will be fine but if you can stretch to or happen to find a 6sp then don't say no.

Steve.

For pure road use go for the 1.6 or preferably 1.8, and for resales the supersport kit will make a huge difference.

Wings do chip incredibly easily so don't be surprised by newish cars having that. Build quality can be patchy, some built in garages are masterpices of craftsmanship, the one I built was below factory in quality terms as I'm crappy with tools!

A brief chat with the owner and a hunt round the car should give you a good feel for the level of love and ability put into the build. As already said, get to the meets and chat with people and blag rides in their cars to make sure you are happy before you buy.

Whatever you buy you won't regret it!

Steve

My opinion:

Buy a 1.6 k series supersport as they are plentiful and sell well. Other choices (like 1.4, 1.4ss and 1.6 roadsport) are less popular at resale. (However they are cheaper to buy...)

6 speed is a very good idea, helps the k series cars and is fantastic for resale but will cost more. (Funny, that)

7s don't wear well. GRP wings soon get cracked and chipped, paint wears and the interiors look shabby on used examples. Black powdercoat on chassis was poor quality in mid 90s and may be flaking. Ally corrodes. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Having said that they are cheap to put right (with the exception of a chassis repaint, ally reskin and paint which will leave you with a new car but at substantial cost) and there are gleaming, mint examples that have never spent a night outside or been used in the wet.

Best thing is to go to the meets and have a few rides, then decide what you want and how much money to spend. Decide particularly what you want it for - for road use <150 bhp is enough, you don't need the fuel and insurance bills that go with mega engines if you don't use it. Equally don't buy a basket case if you don't like restoration and garage time, and do buy the car that more or less fits what you need. Little things like seats, carpets, tyres and aero vs full screen are easily solved, while buying a 6 speed box, another 30bhp, big brakes and limited slip diff will make your eyes water - best to buy those at the outset.

Paul,

Dont let the chipped rear wings put you off too much or you'll find it hard to find a car.

My car is in very nice condition - 10,000 miles paint as new etc - Interior spot on - bought at 4,000 miles.

However even though I use it exclusively for road use usually on good summer days ( spirited driving but probably nothing like the more experienced members of this forum) - the car very quickly picked up tiny stone chips on the leading edge rear wings.

This is quite normal so if you find an example without any it's got either new wings or it's never been driven.

You dont mention budget but if you can find a nice superlight go for it - I was in your position three years ago and members of this forum pointed me to a S/L and I love mine - it's the dogs.

Good Luck,

Dave

Who needs a Helmet - Get an Affro !

Clickhere to see Car and AFFRO !

Member 6790

Superlight 0075 - K7 LYT

Edited by - Dave Rothwell on 28 Jan 2005 14:03:17

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone-have decided best to hang on for a 1.6 - have one in mind albeit owner is having second thoughts on selling but once he finds a new more powerful 7 for his next one hope we are first in line for his 1.6.

Many thanks for the offer of getting together to chat /blat - absolutely clear that all 7 owners seem to be hooked and everyone I meet tells me that buying a 7 is the right move!

Hope to join you soon,

Paul

Steve,

thanks will try and get along some time but out of the country next wednesday,

Badger and Sven-thanks for letting me know about your cars - both sound good but beyond and very beyond my budget and I think for me the 1600 supersport will be quick enough (day car diesel honda accord!)

didn't know about freestyle but found them on the web and by coincidence drove very near to them today- if I'd known they were there would have called in.

thanks all