Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Tyres, ignorant, and proud.

Neil A

I currently have 205/45 R16 Michelin Pilots on my Seven. I am looking to put better tyres on. Do I have to replace them with the same size or can a different size be fitted? (Obviously they will have to be R16.)

Cheers

Fellas, smoke me a kipper, I will be blatting for breakfast.

unless you buy different sized wheels, then basically yes, you need the same size.

I'm running Toyo T1-S which seem pretty good. For road use they are great.

If you are planning on doing trackdays I would recommend getting a 2nd hand set of 13" wheels with CR500s, ACB10s or Yoko 32s or 48s on them. These are stickier and more 'nimble' than any 16" tyre, BUT will reduce your ground clearance a fair but and wear out in about 1/3 of the time.

Yes, Neil has huge 'HPC' style wheels.

Neil, I know this is not what you asked but I think you can get away with other wheel sizes as well as 16in. The main issue I think is how big your brake disks are. You are welcome to try the 15in Prisoners in my garage to see how the car would look / feel with smaller wheels.

Cheers

Peter

To answer your question I have 16'' wheels and I love the Toyo's and I was told that I would only be able to fit the same size on my wheels.

I would like a set of 13'' but that would mean changing the front wings, wing stays, wheels and tyres!!! not a cheep thing

Winner of the Largest pair in a non SV 7 (Rumble 2003) here

Goodyear F1 (205/45x16)

Yoko A032 (205/50x16)

Lotus Dealer only Yoko A048 (195/55x16)

Toyo T1-R (205/45x16) maybe other sizes

If you need four tyres, it is possible to move to 13" wheels at no cost via the secondhand route, I did.

There is a big improvement to be had (although I didn't find it the life-changing experience that some claim) but I believe you could get 50% of the improvement by fitting one of the options above.

Jerry Parker

L7 SVN

1.4 Supersport

as the 16" wheels are a VERY tight fit under the front wings I think you might struggle with:

Yoko A032 (205/50x16)

Lotus Dealer only Yoko A048 (195/55x16)

as they are slightly bigger diameter.

Go for Toyo is my suggestion.. you should be about to get them for £65 each fully fitted. Which compares pretty favourably with the 13" rubber...

I'm on my 2nd set of avon zz3's in 205/45/16, (£90 a corner). The last set lasted 10000miles with only one trackday...

You can use a lower profile if you wish, but your speed ratings will be further 'out'.

You will not be able to run higher profiles, as they will touch the wing stays...