Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which slicks for trackdays ???

Jason Plato

Dear all ,

I'm considering slicks for trackday use on my superlight .

A few questions though .....

Are they permitted on trackdays ?

Which ones would you recommend in size and brand for 6" front and 7" rear rims .

What if any chassis adjustmants are required to make the best use of them over and above settings for ACB's ?

What would be their expected life ?

Any other experiences are welcome

Cheers

Dave

Slicks have been allowed at the L7C and Sylvia organised trackdays I have been at.

I was using Caterham Avon's. Not sure if these are made specially for the light car?

I had the same width on front and rear but 7" rims on the rear and 6" rims on the fronts. I think they are 7" width.

I reckon you would get perhaps 5-8 trackdays out of a set depending on how abrasive the surface is. Mine did not seem to wear that quickly....

The grip and braking is mind bending.

They are extremely light when compared with a road tyre even 021's or 032's...

You will want less camber on front and rears. I ran 1.5 deg camber on the De dion rear and got some inside edge wear but not too much. I then went for 1 deg...

They are completely at home on the zero camber live axle but watch an unmodified Ital axle as the half shafts will get pulled about and with wear may fail.

Caterham acutally get a spot of weld put on to stop the bearing moving for the race series cars...

The fronts were set up pretty much parallel i.e. 0 camber.

Generous amounts of toe out on the sterring wheels give really sharp turn in.

I found them stable at the 110mph speeds I achieved.

To get some idea my bike speedo was registering 7 mph faster at the end of the straight on slicks simply due to better corner exit speed. More than enough to out drag even a V8 Westie and embarass it under braking at the end at the hair pin.

He spun trying to keep up... Excellent!

Expect shorter service intervals and increased wear on wheel bearings and the like.

I had a problem with wheel studs. The threads were pulled (over tightened by the previous owner of the car). I swapped to long studs and ope 22mm racing nuts....

I ran a VXC with foam baffled sump and never had a problem with oil surge.

I would like to use them again but transport and hassle of fitting etc have put me off. Plus I have done more road events this year...

Steve - I am going to be taking a set of slicks ont he back of the caterham for the up and coming snetterton and cadwell days

I got them mainly for a bit of fun and to justofy the dry sump onthe SL :-)

I am going to geth them there on a trackrack rack!

to see what I mean try this url herehttp://www.margel.net/trackrack/rack.html

I have not tried it in anger yet but Roy has and he may be able to tell you about the drag etc I will use your settings for my playing