Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Strange noise

julians

I've been driving my caterham everyday now for the past week (due to fiat being knackered), and I'm not sure whether I'm imagining it or whether its always been there, but I can hear a very soft muffled rumbling/very low pitched whine when I lift off the accelerator, it happens in any gear, and goes away when the clutch is pressed.

The car has a sierra LSD I think, and a quaiffe sc box (although it doesent sound to be coming from the gearbox).

It sounds like its coming from the diff/propshaft area, although it very hard to tell.

Any suggestions??

It's possible it could be the prop/diff, but these will remain turning regardless of the clutches position only the load will change since they will no longer be driven by the engine. Sounds to me like it could be the first motion shaft of the gearbox talking to you, when you declutch this slows right down id the gearbox is out of gear, or it could be some chit chat from the clutch release bearing.

Oily

Oily

I think the noise you're referring to is he normal rumble of the diff. If so, they do all make that noise, but mine was getting more and more frequent and alot louder. The diff and propshaft have now gone off to be rebuilt. The thought of a propshaft failure or a diff seizing doesn't really appeal, although having said that, Steve Perks at SPC took a quick look at the parts and said they looked ok. I'll report back when he's rebuilt them.

Alex

Julian,

Yes, your car does use a Sierra Viscous LSD unit, I had to modify the driveshaft ends to fit it but I don't think it will be anything to do with that. Might be worth checking that nothing is rubbing on the propshaft. Does it make the noise with the engine switched off whilst free-wheeling??

Regards,

Martin