Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Side skins

stephen grant

How' are your sheet metal-working skills and aluminium welding? Personally I can't see the point in trying to do this yourself when Arch would do it for a relatively smalle fee and probably make a much better job that you would on your first attempt.

How much needs to be removed depends on how much of the skinn you need to replace. A half skin only requires the front suspension off, but only comes as far along as the start of the scuttle. A full skin would need the scuttle off, the interior trim panels and the cage (if you have one).

In the past week I have spoken to Bruce at Arch about this as I am getting a reskin done after the car is built up. Bruce saw no problems as long as the front suspension is removed.

The side skins need to be ally welded to, and then blended in with, the rest of the ally panelling.

Arch aren't the only people who can do this but they will guaranteeably do a good job.

Surrounded by steel tubes and empty beer bottles....

• Support Team

You'll need to remove front suspension which comes off easily in one big lump each side - remove damper then undo bolts for top and bottom wishbones, split steering track rod end from hub. It might be easier to remove the steering rack but not absolutely necessary. Rear wings will need to come off and trailing arm for rear suspension will need removing.

That should be about it - you've then got to drill out dozens of rivets. Just realised that yes you would also need to remove scuttle and drill out rivets for interior trim.

A new sideskin can probably only be bought from Caterham unless you take the car to Arch to have it fitted in which case Arch will supply it.

As said above - best to give Bruce a call: 01480 459661

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 24 Jan 2005 14:30:25

Edited by - Shaun_E on 24 Jan 2005 14:31:05