Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CR500's vs A48's

Mr G

Im thinking of buying some 15 inch wheels for loony, fast road use (keeping the 13's for the track).

There is of course the 500 tyre from caterham, but i've been told that the yoko 48's are a good tyre.

Does anyone know how they compare, for road, possible track use and price.

Merci

Mr G

Edited by - Mr G on 24 Jan 2005 17:26:33

Edited by - Mr G on 24 Jan 2005 17:27:22

• Support Team

I guess most people would say "Why buy 15"?"

13" rims will be cheaper and lighter, as will 13" tyres. Personally I'm using Yoko A048Rs because they are cheaper than CR500's and reduced the ride height less when I changed from Yoko A021Rs. I'm pleased with them for both road and track use.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

I use CR500's.

Not tried 48's yet but I understand that the CR500's last much longer (my last set were 11,000) so that negates any price advantages.

48's are said to grip a little better in the dry but CR500's are better in the wet.

I'd rather sacrifice a little top end dry grip for any advantage in the rain!

After all, most of my driving is road based and when do you honestly use the full potential of the tyres in the dry??

😬You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same. 😬

The 48's last longer, are faster in the dry, cheaper and the higher profile means that your speedo will be reading a bit lower. Not got back to back experience in the wet but grip is more than adequate. Personally I'd stick with the 13" wheels

MikeW

Mega Grad

I use 15"CR500's on the road - very pleased with them. When I tried the car at Cadwell on these tyres and wheels, I thought I'd try them on the track. I was very impressed at how good it was. Ok the 13" slicks I used in the afternoon were better, but not by nearly as much as I was expecting. They are expensive but the 15" CR500's are a very good setup for road and track use. Much better than you would expect from a 15" wheel and tyre. Haven't tried 048's though, and the saving is hard to ignore!

MikeW, how long do 48's last then? As I said, I got 11000 miles out of my CR500's, if the 48's can outlast these then I'd be surprised (and looking for a set for my next change!)

Mr G, this is worth a look here. A comparison between 21's 32's and CR500's done by Jason, he had his CR500's last 3 times as long as his 32's.

😬You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same. 😬

I did not want 13s so I forked out for some R300 15 inch rims and purchased four 195/50/15 toyo proxi TS1s, A1 spec, brilliant grip in all conditions, nice looking tread and a silly price as I am in the trade but check the price out yourselves with your local dealer.

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR

My 48's have lasted 4000 miles which includes 4 track days, 2 of which were airfiled days. I am down to the wear marks (which are now level with the surface of the tread so I presume my tyres are now illegal). But, below the wear mark, there is about 2 to 3 mm of tread left, so these tyres are still good for a few track days.

I have also been running the 48's at 20psi all round, which I have now been told is far too high. The correct pressure seems to be between 15psi all round or 18 rear and 16 front. So I don't know if lower pressure will increase or decrease the wear rate *confused*

Also, the Cr500's have a narrower (10mm less than 48's) profile on the front. Not sure what difference this makes? I also had to change the ride height when I changed from 500's to 48's.

I'm not that bothered about the odd kg here or there, I'm sticking with the 48's. *thumbup*

www.R300.net

the 20psi pressure I mention above is what I have been using for road driving. When on track, I also make sure that the pressure is also 20psi when the tyres are hot.

I'm not sure if the 15psi all round, 18 rear and 16 fronts are hot or cold? If they are hot, what would you make the cold pressure for road driving?

Maybe Dave Jackson can comment on this?

www.R300.net

I'm using 48's on 13's at the moment, had them for about 800 miles. FWIW I run them at 18 psi front and 16 psi rear. I drop them to 17/15 respectively for (occasional) track use. Both of these are cold temps, and for no other reason the Mr Polley told me that's what I should run!

IMHO, I find the 48's too hard (or the se7en too light *confused*) for them - I never seem to get enough heat into them. I bought them for road use and have found that they are not as good as 21's in the wet and nothing like ACB10's in the dry. Basically I find them too skitish on greasy roads. Again FWIW, I am going back to ACB10's and only using the car on the road when conditions suit.

They are also seem considerably heavier (anecdotely from when I change tyres - I've never weighed them) than the ACB10's.

I have a problem coming up. I've got ACB10's which have been on since August. About 4000 miles.

I've had one warm day in the summer when they got warm enough to show me why I made the right choice.

The "tramlining" is horrific and in the wet (and cold) they're frightening.

BUT, the rears are nearly down to the wear bars and so, before long I've got to decide on another set or something else.

In my quest to reduce the weight to below 500kgs (only 20 to go) I want to keep them for lightness. But everything says try '48's or CR500's

I know if I ask for advice I will get lot's of conflicting views but so what, it makes for good reading.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here