Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front wing indicators

Trevor Gilby

I have just replaced the front wings on my 2001 SS, and as yet have not refixed the indicators back on as I don't really want them there. I was looking yesterday and wondered if they could be located on the side of the main indicator body housing. They would be visible from the rear and the wiring would be straight off the feed for the main indicator *thumbup*. Is this sensible and legal 🤔

Another alternative is to get some small repeaters (ISTR those from a Fiat Seicento will fit) and mount them in the headlamp shell. I know of a few people who've done this but cant find any websites at the moment.

You may get away without them entirely if your MOT man isnt quite up to speed on the regs - they have been a legal requirement since 1984 but a lot of MOT testers dont seem aware of it

Nick

Red and Black 1.6K supersport

visit Carrotland.co.uk

You can get the Fiat side repeaters from Dave Kimberley at Demon Tweeks and they are SVA compliant. I have just bought a pair for my new build.

Only thing is, whenever I look at them I can't help but think of them as looking like nipples. *tongue*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV. Gad these things are expensive

• Support Team

There has been considerable discussion on this issue - search the archives and you'll find several threads. I believe (others have argued that I am wrong) that for MOT (not SVA) you can legally pass without a side repeater. The relevant words are on this page and the particular section I refer to is:

Lamps incorporating a side repeater are marked either with an 'E' mark in a circle or an 'e' mark in a rectangle above which is a number 5. Some vehicles are fitted with a wraparound lens with no European approval markings. These can be tested by standing approximately 1000mm to the side of the vehicles rear bumper with indicator on. If amber light can be seen coming through the front lens (not a reflection) this is acceptable.

My MOT tester quoted this to me when I passed last time and he did the "standing at the back of the car" check and was happy that he could see the light.

Yellow SL *cool* #32