Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VDO Rev Counter double reading

Mike C

Since switching to an MBE 967 ECU, my VDO pre Caterham logo'd Reve counter now double reads.

I did make dramatic changes to the wiring but thanks to Harry F, I managed to check by installing a Stack rev counter and that reads OK.

Is anybody familiar with this problem?

Mike C

K9 JPE

Well you can certainly run them off the coil trigger wire in non-wasted spark mode, that's how all tachos used to work on prehistoric contact breaker cars pre ECU. Can't see why you couldn't run them the same off one of the two coils on a wasted spark system. But that wasn't my point, if your's was wired off the coil I was going to suggest wiring it off the MBE output.... But if you already are that about exhausts my knowledge of tachos and ECU's.

Is there a set of dip switches in the back of the tacho? Some tachos come this way so that they can be used on a range of cars, 1 to 12 cylinders, 2 or 4 stroke, conventional or wasted spark. If you're running it off a dedicated ECU output then it would want to be..... thinking aloud..... 1 rev per...., 4 cylinder 4 stroke, ...ehhh... OK I give up set it to half what it's on now. Stack tachs are similar but set in the software.