Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fairly standard 1700 Xflow

Ian Woodland

Errr 135bhp? I think if you want that from a 1700 SS X-Flow you may need to do some more serious work. I think the actual BHP is something like 110 or 115 from a 1700SS. However, 140BHP power upgrades available from all usual outlets, at a cost......

RM.

FWIW my 'standard' 1700cc xflow supersprint was rolling road tuned two weeks ago and with minor tweaks to the ignition etc. gave 120BHP at 5800rpm at the wheels - indicating 130-135bhp at the flywheel which doesn't sound far off Caterham's claims...

Bob Stark

Supersprint first-timer

There are rolling roads and there are rolling roads...! The only accurate measure of an engine's performance is to get it on a dyno. In my experience 135bhp from a x-flow is actually harder to achieve than you would imagine, and requires some serious cylinder head work (together with quite an aggressive cam). John Noble told me (a few years ago!) that it takes a "very good" hillcimb spec. engine to show over 100bhp at the wheels on his rolling road.

The 1700 in my Striker made a rather pathetic 90bhp (although surprisingly I still got 1st in class in 8out of 10 sprints entered that year). Perhaps everyone else had even less than me!

Chris.

Rolling roads are a very usefull tool for setting up an engine but you cannot compare figures from one to another, if you want a comparison of before and after figures use the same road, if you want to compare cars arrange a club shoot out at an accommodating facility. Experience with my 1800 x-flow since 1994 is as follows:

1994 120 @ wheels @ John Nobles

1997 143 @ wheels @ Roger Kings following fitment of Weber Alpha ignition (Roger confirmed no power gain at top end but drivability was improved)

2000 170 @ wheels @ JP Autotechnics (Sheffield) following removal of race cam and installation of rally cam to further improve drivability but with loss of top end power. Reduction of approx 4mph across the line at Curborough confirmed the expected power loss.

I remember having my original 1700 SS tuned many years ago and being extreemly disapointed with the figures but over a couple of years it won as many sprints as cars claiming considerably more.

Best of luck finding a good 1700 x-flow.

Paul,

It was the 1700 block assembly that I bought from you that made the less than astonishing 90bhp at the wheels! (And you must remember how well it went in my Striker!) To be fair I did add a better 4-1 exhaust system after visiting John's rollers which may have liberated a few more horsepower.

As an aside, the Connaught 1700 in my Mallock Mk14 was dynoed at 180bhp, and judging by the way it accelerated at Thoresby Park the other week (the first time I had driven it) I wouldn't dispute that figure at all. Awesome...

Chris Gill.

Chris

Most certainly remember selling you the engine, sick as the proverbial parrot when your 1660 Sylva was a few tenths quicker than I could manage. I am delving deep into the old grey hard drive but I seem to remember that the best that I saw with a 244 cam and a Noble head was 108 @ wheels. Nobles rolling road gave me some seriously worrying figures over the years but the results seemed to prove that there was no power deficit. Whatever happened to that engine? Is it still out there.

Paul

Just to add another random data point, my Caterham-standard SuperSprint spec 1700 was put on Osselli's rolling road in about 1991 or 92 and the extrapolated flywheel figure was 130bhp after it had done about 25,000 miles. Can't remember the at the wheels figure but I could look it up tonight if anyone's interested. You can see for yourself in Low Flying, it was part of the great rolling road engine shoot-out that the club arranged.

Anthony

Paul,

I have fond memories of that engine! Winter of 97/98 I installed a new Peter Fisher (he of SP notoriety) head, which had amazing (possibly over the top) porting. I saw it on the flowbench where it flowed more air at 10"H2O than many standard 2litre 16valve heads. Without changing anything else in the engine, apart from carb. jetting, I took it to Hitech rolling road near Dudley (on Dave Greenwood's recommendation) where it made 140bhp at the wheels at 6700. The power difference was startling, and the original H/D clutch just couldn't handle the extra power!

Unfortunately I had to sell the car shortly after that. Took the new owner for a test drive after which (once the maniacal grin had finally subsided) he instantly bought it without haggling. I have since learnt that he has now installed a Yamaha R1 'bike engine, and the crossflow has gone to pastures new. Wish he'd told me - I would definately have had the engine back...

Chris.

• 2 weeks later...

If your still looking, my 1700 Supersprint X/F/ Ax block car is still for sale. It is absolutely standard with no engine mods and in good nick. Well priced.Used as road car only.

See for sale forum @ '1700/xf needs new home'

Happy Motoring. thumbsup.gif C7 WJW.

I shall be taking out my 1700ss engine shortly to install a bike engine.

It is Caterham Super Sprint spec, balanced with 120bhp on the dynosheets.

It has a dry sump, twin 40s, K and Ns 4 speed box, prop for live axle, stainless full length system, remote oil filter and electronic ignition, Caterham supplied from new.

Prefer to sell with all ancillaries.

Can be tried in the car, offers?

Mark