Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Camera mounts

Lali

Not sure how the QR plate fits on, but the arrangement I have is a ball and socket that's screwed to the clamp and uses a pinch bolt to hold the b&s in place. The camera then screws to a std tripod sized screw thingy (tech. term) on the b&s. If you see what I mean!

I bought the whole lot from b-hague. Jessops were very vague about the whole thing when I asked them about it, and were also about 10% more expensive as I recall.

Hi Lali,

I had similar problems over the summer, all sorted now and it works just great !

Firstly you can get a ball&socket head (352RC/GBP23.99) which attatches to the superclamp via a brass spigot (037/GBP4.90).

Note that the spigot has a thin screw and a thicker screw, it looks like thinner screw fitting is the only one that will fit into the hole, but this will retract if pushed revealing a bigger hole. Much better if you don't want to shear your shinny brass thing (mine did !).

Second possibility is a double ball head (155RC - GBP24?) that fits direct into the superclamp. This is really good for those "over the drivers right shoulder" shots as you can get a fair amount of overhang from the rollbar upright, not so good for upright as the whole contraption is a bit high accentuating the cars jitters.

Thirdly, cheapest but not nearly as good for all those angles is to just get the spigot and attatch the superclamp direct to the QR plate. Just tilts back and forth, but very stable.

Remember to cable tie the whole thing, just for safety.

Of course you can always drill things or make stuff out of a baked bean tin if you are technicaly able....I am not, so got all the above bits and now "thrill" people with videos of me overtaking things ! This elicts comments like "You have FAR too much time on your hands" or more usualy "You boys and your toys".

These things are available either at Jessops or better still direct from the distributor Calumet (who are round the corner from Euston if you are London based) here.

Noger.

"He who dies with the most toys wins"

smile.gif

Another tip that you'll no doubt have had, but get an external mic'. I used a freebie from a PC that had a very long cord.

Stuck with blu-tac against the passenger footwell bulkhead it gave great results (I experimented with several positions and this worked the best for me). But make sure that spare cable is well secured.

If you want a cheap mic, use a pair of in-ear type walkman headphones and plug them into the mic socket. I used this and tank taped the "mics" to the side of the tunnel on the passenger side. Lots of gear and engine noise but a bit short on tyre screaching. Best of all, nearly no wind noise. I'm going to try playing with the mic positions to get a balance of tyre and engine noise.

Alex

Edited by - Alex Wong on 18 Sep 2001 01:33:59

The freebie PC mic against the bulkhead gives engine, gear and exhaust noise. Almost no wind noise (unsurprising given the row the rest makes) and I can confirm that tyre squeals are also heard, especially when doing 180s at a reasonable lick on French circuits!

The noise at full chat even makes me smile. And I'm a right miserable git.

The one I'm talking about is like those delivered with Dell PCs. About 3" long, thin shaft, bulbous end, long cord and mini-jack. Most offices bin them, so ask your IT department if they have any kicking around...