Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Where to get cheap A021R's

MJG

I am interested to know anywhere in the Basingstoke / Reading area that supply and fit Yoko A012R (13") cheap? The normal best port of call in these parts for tyres is Micheldever Tyres but they have quoted £81.

I just had this dilemma as I couldn't get down to Polley when they were around.

Solution - get Polley to deliver them to me (they do this FOC if you're not having them fitted), then I took them to a local Kwik Fit who fitted all 4 for about 30 quid. I loitered around while they were doing it to make sure they treated the wheels right, and to their credit they did an excellent job, taking plenty of time and care with them.

Total cost worked out at about 68 quid per tyre (21Rs are about 60 incl. delivery and VAT from GP.

Spot on for 21Rs - basically put them on with the rotation mark facing backwards when it's at the top.

I had 32Rs fitted and which have to go in the "correct" direction according to the mark.

I was also surprised at getting decent service, but had very limited options. The only other place near me (Dorking) wanted to charge 15 quid a wheel to fit them! And didn't sound overly enthusiastic at that. Key thing, I suspect, is to loiter while they do it if you can.

Give George Polley a call, though whether he'll be able to provide proper "evidence" I don't know.

I think it may also depend on which wheels are driven etc, but with the 21Rs it's meant to be better for braking on a 7 (so I guess at least RWD cars).

He also said that you might not notice much of a difference whichever way they were fitted, and was happy to put them on either way (I took his advice and reversed them)...

• Leadership Team

Does anyone have access to the official rules regarding minimum legal tyre tread for the orad?

After Brooklands yesterday, I have some unique Yoko R21 slicks on the back which definitely need changing, and I think that the fronts may be getting marginal.

Thanks - Michael.