Click here if you are having website access problems ×

6 speed gear stick

stokester

This is going to sound an odd request but.....has anyone got a an old (more than 1 year old) gear stick for a caterham 6 speed box. They've changed the diameter and the aluminium 6 speed gear knob(which was bought last week for mt birthday)that they sell now doesn't fit!!! They are now not doing the knob with the gate pattern anymore so the option is the one with just "caterham" on it. I was told to get that and that I should know where the gears are!!! Not quite the point but glad to see they are still as rude as ever!!!!!

Are you sure it's changed?

I only ask as someone once posted a similar query, and it turned out that all that was needed was an "extension" piece that screws onto the shaft that comes out of the 'box, the gear knob then sitting on this. The diameters of the exposed ends of shaft and extension piece are different - found this to my cost when thieving oiks nicked my knob and unwittingly took the extension piece too. Would also find it unlikely they'd change a part like this (or would I?).

If they have changed it, I'd tell them to stick their...won't say it, but it'd make a top selling Soho video...and buy a Momo one instead. No gate pattern but they look and feel lovely (as the thieving oiks obviously felt).

Have a good look at your gear stick to check whether you have a piece screwed onto it, or maybe left in the old gear knob? On one std leather 6-spd shift knob I had to cut the piece out of it as it'd become stuck in the plastic.

I'm sure this'll be it.

Doesn't help but on the few times I've called them the parts guys have usually been OK. Maybe you've caught them on an off day?

The Momo (etc) ones are universal fitting with grub screws and rubber collars. I also suspect they'lll be cheaper than the Caterham equivs. But the extension piece is still needed or the knob sits too low in the hole in the tunnel.

I've recently been through this with a 6 speed box which is 18 months old. The standard gear leveer is a fairly thin shaft which then had a sleeve screwed onto the end to increase the thickness of the shaft to the size of the plastic gear knob. This collar needs to be unscrewed, it can be quite stiff. You could try putting two nuts on the collar, locking them together then turning the nuts with a spanner. If this fails put some mole grips rounf the unthreaded part of the sleeve and undo it. Then screw your shiny new know onto the thin part of the gear stick.

Roy