Click here if you are having website access problems Γ—

Just picked up a toy..

neil.cavanagh

1.8 whippet sized 1.8K supersport-R with 6spd, lsd & big brakes.

😬 😬

blatted through the Dartford tunnel to work 😬 😬 😬

Gearbox is great.... it does

BRRR..BRRRR..BBRRRR..BBRRRRR..BBBRRRRRR...BBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

😬 😬 😬 😬

I think I will be having a LONG lunch break today and trying to find some good roads!!

well its Simon Lambert trying to convince me that I want them to upgrade my engine to 160 R spec!!

I JUST fit in it. Knees up against the steering wheel and even with pixy boots the throttle and brake pedal are a bit scarily close.

I love the 6spd box though. Really smooth, and the close close ratios suit the engine really well!

If only it wasn't Β£2k!!!!!

Β 

Β 

Delbert,

the 2K I was referring to was JUST for the 6spd box. ( Β£2345 fitted)

Β 

The R engine upgrade is 'from' Β£2295.

Β 

"Supersport-R (1.6 & 1.8 std EU2 & EU3 only)

The Caterham R300 engine uses the roller-barrel induction system of the R500 engine to produce 160bhp. Work on the R300 engine has enabled us to carry this back to the standard 1.6 and 1.8 engines. 1.6 capacity units first have to be converted to 1.8, by entirely stripping the engine, replacing the crankshaft complete with bearings, cylinder liners, pistons and con-rods. For all conversions, the head is removed and modified with the compression ratio raised and the inlet ports matched to the roller barrels. The Supersport profile camshafts are used, if not already fitted. Outside the engine, the obvious difference is the roller-barrel induction system. On the standard engine, a single throttle body controls the flow of air into a common plenum chamber from where it is drawn into the engine. The roller-barrels have individual throttles for each combustion chamber, drawing air through inlet ducts designed for maximum performance. The roller-barrel design allows for a completely smooth, uninterrupted airflow into the combustion chamber on wide-open throttle. This system is controlled with a special engine management system (ECU)."

Β 

So for us Delbert I think we'd get roller-barrels and a bit of head work and re-mapped ECU.

The engine is rather nice.... I'm starting to think that maybe a good route to go would be to buy a 1.8 'trophy' engine for c. Β£1200 which would give 160. then Β£500 on exhaust.

Then spend time and a winter faffing around with my old 1.8 and seeing what I can get that to do...

Β 

Β 

just thinking aloud really myles...

IF (I don't!) I had Β£2K to spend I could get 160bhp and realiability (ie for USA2005) by putting in a new trophy.

Then instead of selling my existing 1.8 I could spend time faffing & fettling it as and when money allows to ultimately build a 190-200 bhp K.

Β 

But then again, would I be better to not spend any more money on current car and trade it in for a new SV with better engine already???? which I'm make sure would have LSD, 6spd etc etc.

Β 

all academic really for the next 6 months at least though due to finances... ☹️

Β 

Listen to Darth Badger not, seduced by the motorbike Dark Side was he, hmmm.

Β 

An SV too lardy for a motorbike engine power unit is, anyway. Less of a landspeeder than whippet Caterham, hmm?

Β 

Weak is the force in all of you.

Β 

voice>

So for Β£5k I get an extra gear and 20 bhp. Whereas I couuld go on a starvation diet.

This would mean I loose about 30lbs and save on booze etc. This would improove my power to weight ugamaflip.

Add that Β£5k I've just saved to the money saved not eating and drinking (except when company pays) , as Myles so kindly pointed out, from ditching a cocaine habit . Add in a cheeky reworking of the finance schedule, increase the bubble to 50%

Β 

Thats it I can afford a CSR260.

Β 

On top of that ( and as we all know I believe everything Nemeisis says is true) when the CSR is dropped in favor of the BMC 1100 version it will have rarity value Thus I can justify as an investment....................

Β 

Any more "savings" that can be suggested that do not involve building a 7 that sounds like a Moulinex Mixer

Β 

Too Old to die Young *eek*

Β 

Here look, only here one Yoda is there, KO?

Β 

Β 

Looking for an up-punch, you are. This BEC nonsense stop must. Already Noger and Lee have been drawn to the Dark Side.

Β 

Β 

So it is. Only too late realise will they that Cheese engine forward the way is.

Β 

voice>

I gather its another Β£160 pcm

Β 

Not that I've checked /considered it/ applied for higher paid jobs to finance it /chosen the colour/spec/ pit crew to build it etc

Β 

All I need to do now is earn more and stay in the Chavdom

Β 

Too Old to die Young *eek*