Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How often should you change brake fluid ?

frankyknuckles

Folklore has it that overheating the brakes will do nasty things to the fluid closest to the caliper - on that basis, it might be worth just flushing some fresh fluid through.

Also, if air has got in anywhere, it will almost certainly be at the caliper-ends of the system, so a flush and bleed could he beneficial anyway.

After faffing around and wasting a large number of litres of cheapish fluid last year (only £9 a litre *eek*), I ended up settling on the tyre-pressurised Eezibleed as the most reliable way to sort the situation out (I work alone, it must be said....)

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Thanks.

I'm going to flush the system through with the remaining fluid that I have (Catrol SRF is very expensive), so this should get rid of any air that might be in the calipers. My pedal has never been very solid, so I'm interested to see if any air in the system.

I've purchased the Mityvac hand help vacuum pump brake bleeder, looks very easy to use and will allow me to do it on my own *thumbup*

www.R300.net

Franky,

From memory, I was always told to use FRESH fluid if I ever did anything on the brakes. This is because the seals on the tims are not perfect and the fluid you are using may be as bad as the stuff being thrown away!

I appreciate that SRF is expensive, but that money has already been wasted. As brakes are critical, it seems senseless wasting time on an exercise that may make things worse just to save a few pounds. In which case, if the fluid is only a year old, you'd be better advised to leave well alone.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Depends how old the existing stuff is. You might be lucky and notice a colour change (darker to lighter, usually).

1 litre will be fine - that's almost the volume of the complete system.

The critical thing is to carry on bleeding if you can see any small bubbles coming through the drain-tube you've attached to the nipple (I used a combination of the Eezibleed to force new fluid through and an Eezlibleed one-man thingy (bottle with one-way-valve) to collect the old fluid. Only a fiver or so from Halfrauds.

HTH

When I was ordering some brake fluid from Demon Tweeks, I got told that the more extreme temps and usage, the more often the fluid should be changed. Extreme Racing fluids need changing more often than normal road types.

So, whereas ornery stuff is OK to change every other year,

SRF needs changing every year - some folks say 6 months!

haha just looked at the srf data sheet:

change within 18 months!

edited to remove non-working link: info pasted below.

Racing Brake Fluid

DESCRIPTION

Castrol SRF is a high performance brake fluid of special value in competitive motor sport where extreme braking conditions are encountered. It is an exclusive Castrol product registered under patents in many countries. Castrol SRF exceeds US Federal Standards FMVSS 116 DOT 3 and DOT 4, ISO 4925, JIS K2233 and current SAE J 1703.

APPLICATION

Castrol SRF has been especially formulated to maximise braking performance under arduous competitive conditions. In order to achieve the optimum benefits in such applications, advanced materials have been employed in a unique and patented Castrol formulation. The use of Castrol SRF should be restricted to not more than eighteen months before draining and refilling for maximum efficiency. Prolonged use in excess of the recommended period may give rise to a deterioration in performance at very low temperatures. Castrol SRF is suitable for all disc and drum brake systems with the exception of those for which mineral oil is prescribed.

FEATURES/BENEFITS

The exceptionally high dry boiling point, (higher than 300oC) makes Castrol SRF ideal for use under arduous braking conditions such as racing or rallying. Castrol SRF has a very high vapour lock point (the more important measure of high temperature performance under actual braking conditions), and has the additional advantage of sustaining high vapour lock point characteristics during its service life. The compressibility of Castrol SRF is very similar to that of current DOT 3 and DOT 4 fluids. It can, therefore, be filled into any non-mineral oil braking system. Castrol SRF is miscible with all conventional fluids meeting US Federal Standards FMVSS 116 DOT 3 and DOT 4, ISO 4925 and current J 1703. However, mixing Castrol SRF and conventional brake fluids will merely reduce the higher quality of Castrol SRF. It is, therefore, recommended that conventional brake fluids be drained from the system before flushing and refilling with Castrol SRF.

PERFORMANCE

SAE J1703

FMVSS 116 DOT 3/4

TYPICAL CHARACTERISTICS

Density at 20ºC 1.065

Edited by - Paul Drawmer on 19 Jan 2005 18:55:20

Edited by - Paul Drawmer on 19 Jan 2005 18:59:29

Erm - the point about paintwork needs reinforcing - rags won't do much good if it soaks through.

Have plenty (watering can or hose) of water handy instead and sloosh it down if spilt.

Regarding topping-up the reservoir - if you are using the tyre-pressurised Eezibleed, you fill *its'* bottle with fluid and it automatically tops the reservoir up as you bleed. Make sure that the EEzibleed doesn't run dry though - you really don't want to drain the master reservoir and let air in from the top of the system.

Oh, and from experience - if you are using one of the 7's tyres to pressurise the system, you might need to pump it up (rather than let it down as per the Eezibleed instructions) - they are assuming that the tyre has much more pressure in that is the case with the 7 - and I've had trouble getting enough flow without increasing the tyre-pressure.

Dave, If you use the Gunson ezi-bleeder kit You have to make sure that everything is on tightly. especially as your car has a painted finish. i've always found ezi bleeders well.. bleeders in that you can sometimes get brake fluid spraying out of the kit /master cylinder cap joint under pressure would recommend covering up your paintwork with polythene sheet if you are going to use one of these things, keep the reservoir topped up otherwise you will drag fresh air into the piepwork.

Even though you are using a vacuum pump, it's probably worth you buying the Eezibleed anyway - you can ignore the tyre-pressurisation (obviously), but use the bottle, tube and cap as an auxiliary reservoir (it takes about 1/3 to 1/2 litre IIRC).

I think you'll find it a pain in the neck to keep alternating between topping up the master reservoir and operating the pump.

Cost is only £13-15ish IIRC from Halfrauds.