Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Busa Emissions Test SVA

Rob Bailey

I have had a look through the archives but can't seem to the answers....

Hopefully, if everything goes to plan I will be ready for the SVA late March / early April. I am building a Caterham Hayabusa, but I think the big hurdle might be the SVA emmisions.

Do I need to fit a catalyst? or will the engine pass as standard?

I suppose another option would be to buy one of them commander unit things and adjust all the parameters down? - is this possible?

• Support Team

This looks like a bit of a minefield. It seems that motorbikes are exempt from emissions testing and therefore the Hayabusa engine is unlikely to meet the emissions requirements for a car. The car MOT testing information is here and you would almost certainly need a catalyst to meet those limits - SVA could be stricter. Using a programmable ECU is not going to reduce some of the gas levels that a catalyst is desgined to remove.

How old is the engine? This may have an impact on the emissions you need to meet.

You could try contacting Westfield - they must have considerable experience with SVA for busa powered cars. I can't hink of anyone who has road registered a Catheram with a busa motor - they all seem to be track only cars but I could be wrong there.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 19 Jan 2005 08:33:41

the short answer is yes, you will need a cat to get through emissions.

I would be very surprised if you are able to crank the mixture down enough to pass.

you can rent-a-cat from people like The Kit Car Workshop. I think it also has an air injection system too doesn't it?

might be worth asking the question of some of the Busa boys here, as I'm not a Busa expert.

moomin

www.megabird.co.uk

Edited by - moomin on 19 Jan 2005 09:11:50

My Radical with the full race stroker 1500 passed SVA no problems with a catted exhaust and closed loop lambda - I'm not sure if a different map or fiddling was required though. Certainly the standard 1300 motor should be fine with a twiddable ECU.

i got my busa thro the sva ok

.... you will need a cat, and turn fuel presure down till its virtually nill, i tried power commander option but didnt help that much

the irony was ...i had turned pressure down so much to go thro emissions test, i couldnt do the noise test, so i had to turn the fuel pressure back up to get it to rev high enough, and the examiner didnt have a prob with me doing that ... what a farce *confused*

I got mine through with only a cat in the exhaust. If you buy an exhaust system from Powersped in kent he'll lend you a silencer with a cat in it.

My engine is a 2002 unit and had a lambda sensor as standard as well as the PAIR air injection system - I had to increase the fuel pressure to about 46psi but it passed OK.

I know other people sell kit but sometimes it's possible to get through with only a cat and careful adjustment of the fuel pressure. Pop along to a local friendly MoT station first and check it.

i had a problem with my blackbird and the centre rang the DoT and were told that all caterhams should be tested as pre 1977 cars so it passed... probably wrong, but i got a certificate... and i'm taking back to the same nice man next year!

Hi Rob,i sva'd my caterham busa last year with a twin silencer system with a cat from James whiting.The kit also came with an air injection system that was originally designed for his carbed fireblade engines but he will hire the system out.Even with this complete system fitted and wired i had to turn the fuel pressure down to about 14 psi to pass emissions.If you need any more info drop me a mail.

Andy G

GRIFF