Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MUST I get rid of the Michelins?

Miura

granteuk thanks for the info. The car came with 520s on it (bought in late Oct) and I havent had warm dry roads to try them on yet. A lot of folks swear by 021s but first off I'll see what these are like.(520s) 🤔

Are 021s available in 15" like the 539s?

Zetec powered supersprint in brg waiting for spring

thanks to all , I will switch to 17psi for a start see how it goes and then change the tyres ( late Feb/early March), I will let you know what was my choice and what I think of them (silly how hard it is to make such decisions, my missus is getting nuts!

And it will be time to close the 200th (or so)topic on tyres *smile*

It will make search session of Newbies (and perhaps not-so-new newbies) even richer.

Thomas

You won't regret getting decent tyres; I had seriously considered selling the 7 so often was I scaring myself on the road or spinning on track days.I got rid of the treacherous Pilots and was amazed at how controllable- wet OR dry the car became on 32Rs.It's not really the extra grip that makes the biggest difference -it's the progressive breakaway and sheer controllability.

Miura,

I also would recommend trying to get on the Heyford Handling day that Mark (F355) mentioned. A REALLY good opportunity to see how the car handles and how you handle the car in safe and wide open conditions.

I keep a set of Avons (same as the Michelins to all intents and purposes) just for this sort of handling day. Take off the 021's or 032's and fit the Avons. You can then lose traction almost at will and have chance to develop / improve your actions in controlling the car.

If you take the grippier tyres with you then you can always change them over part way through the day (or during the last "circuit" session) if you want to get an idea of how much more grip the car has on what will (I am sure) become your normal road tyre.

Avons / Michelins are good for handling days as you just CANNOT wear them out - even when trying REALLY hard.

Dave.

Probably been said already but I found out at the begining of my Caterham ownership that proper tyres suited to a light weight sports car means progressive grip on track, you can build up lap speeds with confidence, you can have excellent handling and grip on the road in the dry, hence it's very safe to have a bit of fun and in the case of the first set I ever bought, Yokohama 008's, they looked cool once a but worn with just 3 circumferential rings *cool*

Can't you get 021's in 14"? I would recomment these as a starter tyre.

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

My racing info site

here

Edited by - stevefoster on 21 Jan 2005 19:35:25