Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Novice Day

Debert

Yes, Goodwood IMHO is not so good for "intermediate" novices. But, for complete novices I think it offers something. It is wide, open, and on a noisy day (yes, quite expensive) you really don't see much else on the track with only 5 cars.

Less scary than having loads of other cars, slower and faster, contend with.

Plus on noisy days you are less likely to get idiots.

Just a thought.

From you I guess the other close-ish possibility is Brands. I know Easytrack used to do evening sessions. But they are a bit manic as people try to get as many laps in as possible and work out the days frustrations !

This may sound somewhat odd, but I often think club days are not the best places to start. Given the pressures of spaces, the green group is pretty fast, compared to a mixed day.

The birth of the Gixxerham : pics here drivel here

You could always try an airfield, MSE have just announced their Hullavington days and the first one of the year is on 18 Feb. Alternatively one of the excellent Academy days Mark Collins is organising? The first time I drove my caterham was at one of these! Also the first time I had to pick grass out of it 😳 😬

If it's a track you want Brands has been busy every time I've been there, but I've never had any problems in the novice sessions with easytrack. Alternatives in the south are ability-based sessions at Castle Combe (numbers and noise limits like Goodwood) or I think Silverstone Racing School do events where you bring your own car. Bound to be pricey though...

Fletch

Angie drove round Goodwood in the rain in December and survived - even enjoyed it, though that be something to do with the 'dishy' instructor (not me!).

It is one where you need an instructor, but on the other hand it is relatively quiet out on track - even with 10 cars on a 98dbs day, they are spread over 2 1/2 miles or so. As *arrowup* - places like Brands can be scarey because of the wilder type of participant they seem to attract sometimes.

Depending on the date, I can pop along with the intercom and sit in the passenger seat with Jen for a session or two? Or would Jen be happy to drive at Anglesey on Mav's day with charming shedders instead of Nutter Turbos>

*wink*

G for Geoff

Edited by - GTD on 20 Jan 2005 16:55:24

Fletch,

I did the Evo intro day at Snetterton Feb 2004 and enjoyed it so much I went to another at Cadwell in March

It cost £70 for 1/2 day and was very very controlled and not in the least threatening. Safety is paramount. The day starts with a comprehensive briefing on all aspects of track days. Ducks and drakes lapping to start followed by an open session. Everyone else will be in the same boat so no need to worry. Instructors are on hand to help.

Since then I have made good progress with further track days.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this to you.

Matt *cool* - Son of Oldbutnotslow

here

Hi Fletch,

I see my son has beaten me to it. We only have experience of Evo for the intro day but it really was very good. Matt had not driven the Caterham before and had only passed his test 9 moths before.

He is right in that it was non-threatening in terms of speed and other drivers.

He is also being modest. (enters proud Dad mode)He made such progress that he would up in the advanced groups and was a finalist in the Evo Driver of the Year competition ( proud Dad mode off) for a sponsored place in the Caterham Academy for 2005. Sadly he was not chosen but that is another story!

Who ever you use I am sure that you will enjoy it!

Grant

Black and stone chip

here