Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

What's the funny noise?

NigelR

I have an ex-Caterham Academy car (2004) with less than 3,000 miles which seems to make a strange clicking noise from the rear axle.

You can only really hear it at low speed or if you lift off from any speed certainly from 50 mph. The only thing I can equate it to is it sounds like the something in the spoke of a kids bicycle wheel, but a bit duller. The clicks reduce marginally as the speed reduces. Anyone got any clues what it might be? I have taken the wheel off and nothing looks obvious. There is possibly a very small amount of play with the wheel attached, not sure how much there should be.

Thanks for any clues or tips

Nigel

you could have debris of some kind inside the diff housing, rattling around amongst the rotating diff teeth. this would explain why the noise changes frequency with speed.

if there is something in there - its bad news, as it will be damaging the teeth on the CW or the pinion. not good.

i had a tooth on the CW of my live axle diff break off once. i ddint know that at the time; i just had a loud mechanical clicking noise. but i had a 30 mile drive home... *eek*

by the time i got home it sounded like gravel in a cement mixer! i removed the diff to find all the teeth chipped and blunted, a couple of teeth sheared off altogether, and a pile of broken shards in the bottom of the diff housing.

luckily the diff was not too expensive to replace - and i took the opportunity to change the ratio.

if its not this - then sorry to scare you 😳

OR

have you jacked the car up and checked around the propshaft universal joints?

with all the debris on the road, its possible you picked up a twig or a chunk of cable or something, which is whirring round and hitting the sides of the transmission tunnel...

*idea*

Thanks for the tips so far - any more thoughts welcome

Re: the current ideas - I hope it isn't the diff! I could live with the lollypop stick until the elastic band broke.

I did have a quick look at the tyres which seemed clear but worth a double check. It sounded a duller metallic clunk than you would from something stuck in a tyre. I guess I'm tempted to try and jack it up and see if it makes the same noise with the wheels in freewheel. Not keen on it falling off the jack though and ramming into the garage!

Where's the best place to stick axle stands without doing any damage? (Apart from a bouncy castle ) 😬

I will have to have another little play this weekend (barring snow) and see what I can discover

Thanks for the clues

(the car competed in the scottish academy series)

I will let you know if I can work out what it is