Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Axle Stands

Ozzy

Ozzy,

I think it depends on what work you are doing etc. Could you put the rear wheels back on the car and raise the car using a ramp (or some breeze blocks with chocks?)

If it's temporary work and you don't need to get underneath the car, you could jack up the central bush.

As a final measure, you could try and spread the load out along areas of the chassis using 5 or 6 axle stands (borrow them off your friends)

Personally I would not recommend supporting the car on the DD tube - it's not meant to be a load bearing part and they have been known to crack. (Am quite happy to be corrected by somone with greater knowledge of the build and stresses on DD tubes)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

1400 Supersport with 6 gears and clamshell wings *smile*

Edited by - RobF on 17 Jan 2005 14:25:08

To answer the original question - yes, it's fine to stick them under the De-Dion - in fact, that's the standard method of supporting the car (just inboard of the wheels)...

I've only ever placed the stands at the extreme edges of the rearmost chassis tube when I had to drop the diff.

The only problem I can see with what you are proposing is that the stands are very close together - can you not get them just inboard of the wheels?

As a safety precaution, what I do when using stands with the wheels off is to place the wheels underneath the car below the seats (as far back as possible.

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

• Support Team

What task are you trying to do. The only thing I can think of is that you are removing the A-Frame. In that case I don't think you can support the car on the de-dion as it will move as soon as you remove the bolts - the de-dion will try to rotate although the damper bolts will try to resist that motion. My suggestion is to get a length of wood - fence post or similar as it needs to be pretty stiff and run that underneath the chassis as far back as you can - support the wood with your axle stands but make sure that the wood is firmly positioned on them.

For my rebuild I made a couple of dollies out of 4" square fence post and some castors and these worked fine.

You can actually remove the A-Frame bolts with the axle stands in place - it's just a bit awkward.

Edited to say - all this assumes that your normal position for axle stands is where the front of the A-Frame bolts to the chassis.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 17 Jan 2005 16:06:06

When I dropped the diff, I held it up like this here

(click the image for full-size)

Apply something soft to the face of the cups on the stands, though - I scraped a bit of powdercoat off because the stands don't fully match the contour of the chassis plates (not an issue when supporting the DD)

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Thanks for the replys Guy's. The reason why I need to put the stands elsewhere, is I've noticed a few spots of the dreaded rust around the A frame mounts, so I'm rubbing it back ready for the POR 15. Actually, while I'm here, another question. Has anyone ever painted the base of the fuel tank, or would this peel eventually and look naff. Should I just polish it instead, so it's nice and shiny?

Still Shaking.

Yes, you can definitely rest the weight of the car on the DD tube (assuming it's not been weakened by rust or abuse).

I know this because the assembly guide tells you to do exactly this before final tightening of the rear suspension bolts:

Section 6, Para 52: "Place the axle stands under the De-Dion tube such that the weight of the car is taken up through the spring damper units. Ensure that all the suspension securing bolts are tightened as detailed in Table 2."

I used a wire brush to remove the loose rust before painting with POR-15. I still need to paint the tiny bits that were "hidden" above the axle stands though ☹️ My plan was to just use a trolley jack as I wouldn't need to be under the car to reach these points.

cheers,

Darren.