Click here if you are having website access problems ×

xflow out of car - xflow in

RogNeedham

• Leadership Team

next weekend I should hopefully be removing my existing xflow and installing Rob Grigsby's motor. Everything I hear from those that know these things says it should be straight forward *eek*

Any particular tips anyone can give to help things go smoothly. *thumbup*

Thanks - Rog

With and engine crane and a helper, it's pretty much a breeze. Had mine engine/gbox from floor to bolted securely in car is under an hour.

I do think I recall the alternator was a very tight fit past the engine bay diagonal on the left side of the car. Can't remember any other real headaches.

If you're pulling the gearbox in and out you might want to try to fashion a catch pan of some kind underneat the path of the gearbox tail-stock so it doesn't pi$$ oil all over the floor, IYSWIM.

Engine mountings can sometimes be awkward. I presume you are leaving the gearbox in the car, so you will need a way of supporting it while you do the swap. Although its possible to do it without removing the carbs I always do so, to reduce the risk of damage. You shouldn't need to remove the rad either.

Edited by - Graham Perry on 17 Jan 2005 07:00:57

Roger I think the time consuming bit will be the ECU, coil pack and engine loom, it's got LOTS of plugs on it but you only use hmm 3 of them so you may need to ask a few questions as to which ones go where. From what I remeber the ones you need are

Crank sensor

Throttle pot on the carbs

Main ECU plug

Not sure there is anything else but I could be wrong! there is also an air temperature sensor attached that needs mounting, the only other big difference is going to be the dry sump. You're going to need to find somewhere to put the tank, typically this goes at the end of a shortened passenger footwell. I've included most of the pipework for the engine apart from the external oil filter stuff and the ones that went to my oil cooler, you will need a couple of extra oil pipes I'm afraid. Beyond that everything is there right down to a copper exhaust gasket set 😬

Unfortunatly that weekend I'm going to be in an area without any phone reception so I wouldn't be able to answer questions but if you get stuck drop me an email or leave a message and I'll see what I can do. Chris at the Sevens Workshop did the original install so he will also be able to answer questions.

Ah yes one more thing do you have a sealed header tank system?

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

• Leadership Team

thanks as ever guys *thumbup*

got a hoist *thumbup*

planning to remove engine and g/box (already had that tip) -drip tray *thumbup*

header tank not sealed *confused*

will need to find space for dry sump tank - I saw where that went on Norm's car - but my battery is in the middle of the bulkhead - air horns on the nearside *thumbdown*

Norm I've got your numbers thanks - I'm also grateful that my firend who's helping is a Rolls Royce trained engineer who is about to embark on a complete rebuild of his '72 MGB V8 😬

Rog

I found it a good idea to tag all the cables saying where they go when you take them off - it's surprising how different they all look when they are all waving around together *eek*

Take the alternator off until the engine is in the car - it is very tight otherwise.

Don't forget the rear light cable on the side of the gearbox tail either..

Good luck

Terry

Q783 OOR. Team Lotus colours with flares.

ROB G,

So that is where the Copper Gasket went !!!!!! *wink*

Rog,

if it is going spare could you mail me as I bought the Raceco exhaust system from Rob and it might help my exhaust woes....

Good luck with the swap... It is good that the engine was not broken for parts *thumbup*

Jonathan

-----------------------------------

1db too loud ! ☹️

Got the Raceco, just need a Gasket fix !