Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Uprated clutch for 1.9K engine

silver-7

Alan at Scholar informs me that the Caterham AP race clutch from the R500 is only capable of around 145lb of torque.

I had planned to fit this assemby, but now need to find a clutch & plate suitable for the extra power of the engine.

I need an uprated clutch assembly capable of taking about 175Ib torque anyone recommend a suitable set up ???

car has R500 ultralight flywheel and caterhams 6 speed box.

cheers

ALEX

The latest 'R500' clutch is an evolution of the original R500 item, and is used on the R500 Evo engine. I can't remember the torque of that engine, but given that it is effectively your 1900 with a longer stroke, it has to have more torque, so if it is up to the demands of the Evo I am sure it will work with yours. It has the advantage of feeling like a conventional cutch too, unlike the horrible twin plate things I have tried. You can get it from Caterham (or AP I am sure)

Going to give Caterham a call monday,

I brought this clutch direct from them, explained what i needed and was sent the "standard" R500 job just pleased that someone noticed before

it was fitted *thumbup*

Rob.

Its a catch 22 at the moment as i have no real idea of the torque until its rolling roaded, so its a guestimate from Scholar ect

would prefure to have one that is over speced as i would hate to have to take the engine out again this year !

Eck.

As above i thought i was getting the EVO clutch from caterham, had a chat to AP at the autosport who have given me a contact in their tech

dept, but according to there show info they DO NOT make a suitable "road" plate !!

why should i avoid a twin plate clutch ? are they to harsh for the road ?

I wonder if the R500 evo ran a non AP clutch ????

Am I right isnt Dave Jackson building a 1.9k with a 6 speed box ?

cheers

Alex

As a Caterham is very light & will tend to spin its wheels without huge provocation, torque is being transmitted to the tyres and then wasted. - This does not put much stress on the clutch. If you are using sliks to do standing starts on a grippy surface, then you need to be aware of where any excess torque will be wasted to - potentially the clutch in this case.

You also might want to consider that the gearbox *probably* has a max torque rating below many applications. 😳

Alex, I believe Caterham only sells one AP clutch now. Given that mine has endured a 156lbft engine for 25K miles and is now in such fine fettle that I've given it to Myles to use in his 1.8K engine, I can't see there being any problem with it being mated to a possible 170lbft engine.

These clutches are good. The numbers don't tell the whole story.

• 1 month later...

Hiya. I've dug this one out of the archives as I've got to replace my clutch. Alan at Scholar suggested my clutch might be a 7.5" type *confused* Is the clutch described as

Competition ClutchCentre Plate(Ford/Rover)Lightweight competition clutch centre plate

on the Caterham parts page going to be suitable? My clutch is marked up as AP approved.

Here's a photo of it as it, might help as there's a part no? here

T'other side: here

Thanks.

Chris.