Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A sheddly version ofthe Caterham sale

Delbert

Copied from Sniff petrol and from a thread upstairs

CATERHAM IS SOLD TO SOMEONE

The world of small, minimalist sports cars with numbers in their name was in shock this week with news that popular Lotus Seven maker Caterham has been sold. The new buyer is a group led by Anwar Sadat, the former president of Egypt who was assassinated in 1981. "That's right my friends," he said. "I own Caterham now", although on reflection this statement might actually have been made by Sniff Petrol's friend Mark doing a silly voice.

The price paid for the low-slung Surrey based firm has not been revealed, but sources say the new owners may have saved themselves some money by purchasing Caterham in kit form. However, whilst this may meant a reduced price, it also means the new owners will have to assemble the company themselves over the course of several weekends.

"This is not a problem," said someone close to the ground. "We have already received several large boxes containing the basics of Caterham and we have cleared a space in the garage ready to begin assembly. First we must lay out the offices, not forgetting to plumb in the lavatories before we attach the stationary cupboard to the back of the small kitchenette area".

However, some observers have been quick to offer words of caution: "I once built a kit car company myself," said one exdustry inpert. "Everything seemed to be going fine until I put the roof on the main office, then I realised some bits left over including two swivel chairs, five pot plants and a secretary."

Meanwhile, some commentators believe the biggest challenge will come when Caterham's new owners come to install plans for expanding the model range. Although Caterham is well designed and should be easy to put together correctly, adding plans such as these could cause a kink in what made the name famous and cause everything to become overstretched, ultimately buggering up the entire company.

A different sort of kit, yesterday

Too Old to die Young *eek*