Click here if you are having website access problems ×

ALDON IGNITOR WHO KNOWS ?

eric

The Ignitor is very reliable ands compact, it includes a trigger and amplifier which are self contained within the distributor. Because it is a non contact system there is no wear as there is with a set of points, once you have set the timing it pretty much stays set and the dwell is fixed too. I have used the ingitor in the past and found it to be excellent and it is considerably cheaper than Lumenition or an electronic distributor.

Oily

I agree with Oily.

The Aldon Ignitor was the most reliable part of my old Xflow engine.

With the distributor location under twin DCOEs, not having to fiddle with points settings is a real bonus, (once correctly set, engine timing shouldn't need changing often either).

Regards

allen

Prior to having a mapped system fitted to my x-flow I used both the Lucas and Lumenition systems. The Lucas was reliable and simple to fit (all the plugs were and cables were in the loom ready, 89 car) but I experienced a problem with bouts of severe pinking that would come and go. At the second rolling road session we discovered that since the chopper was part of the rotor arm any wear between the plastic rotor arm and metal shaft meant that the timing could vary +- 4 degrees, potentially damaging with todays fuels. The assumtion was made that the extra weight of the rotating assembly was causing wear that would not occur with a standard arm. The cure was simply to fit a new rotor arm every year. The lumenition took a little longer to fit as the supplied loom had to be fitted (only 5 wires if I remember) and in use was totally reliable.

I have used ingnitors on several engines, Twin Cam, BDA, Pinto and a race Imp unit that revs to 10000rpm, and never had any problems with reliability. They are simple to install, neat in terms of the under bonnet installation and as t=others have already said maintenance free. Well worth the cost in my view.