Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lubricants for Diff and box

Sideways Mike

• Support Team

Caterham sell both: the diff oil is EP90 and the gearbox oil is GL4 (manual says DON'T use GL5). Phil at Road and Race Transmissions recommends Redline MTL for the 6 speed box - don't know whether it is appropriate for the 5 speed. I've just put Caterham branded stuff in the diff and will be putting Redline in my 6 speed.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

any Ford dealer will sell you a litre of EP90 for the diff and a litre of 75W-90 for the 5spd box. Will cost you less than a tenner and they are the correct spec oils that these components where designed around. I know they had them both in the South Woodham Dovercourt branch because I bought some a week ago Mike.

I put Redline MTL gear oil in my 5 sp box (£18.39 per US qt. from Redline) it took 1.5 qt's ish (I spilt some)

and Redline lightweight shockproof dif oil...............in the dif 😳 (£19.26).

If you buy from Redline, quote your membership No. and get a discount.

Cheers,

Andy *cool*

2.0 VX race car now road legal 😬. Just the nice bits to do like fix SWMBO seat

I have a live axle on my 7 and in the year i've had it i have changed the oil in the axle, I already had some fully sinth GL5 in the garage, so I thought this would be ideal so I used it.....However, I have found the ratio of my diff 3.27:1 and the turns out its a Trumph GT6 Diff I had a look on a Trumph onwers website and they say DO NOT USE a GL5 spec oil.... something about desolving the copper washers 🤔 they recomend EP90 (GL4) Has anyone else heard about this??

Edited to include the link to the GT6 Page here

About half way down the page..

Edited by - blade_runner on 14 Jan 2005 17:05:31